Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who likes 'bad' weather?

Must admit being up in Skye in absolutely foul conditions, in the Red Cuillin, Sligachan, Trotternish, was fantastic.

The fact that in a week (and 85 miles) of running, I only saw one other person on the hills, and that was within quarter of a mile of Sligachan Inn, points to how wild it was (probably also points to the insanity of people who enjoy this weather!)

The Ben Race in 1990 was epic. Solid rain and cloud at start with conditions deteriorating during the race and wind getting up. SAR helicopter called out to collect the carnage strewn across the mountainside. For me, the conditions spurred me on to my fastest time on the Ben, 1.49. It seemed the tougher the weather the better I ran. Came to a head in 1991 when I won my leg of the Welsh Water Relay at a romp over the ridge near Fan Y Big...another competitor on the same leg perished due to exposure. A very salutory reminder of the need to temper enjoyment with respect.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Sometimes the weather can be a bit too extreme. The 1983 Kentmere blizzard is mentioned in Steve Chilton's Running Hard: Kenny Stuart retired because he didn't have enough protective clothing and got cold; I retired because the sheer weight of protective clothing I had on made it impossible to move at much more than a walk, even though I wasn't cold. 375 started, 187 finished, a smaller proportion than in the 1994 blizzard when one competitor died due to hypothermia.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Sometimes the weather can be a bit too extreme. The 1983 Kentmere blizzard is mentioned in Steve Chilton's Running Hard: Kenny Stuart retired because he didn't have enough protective clothing and got cold; I retired because the sheer weight of protective clothing I had on made it impossible to move at much more than a walk, even though I wasn't cold. 375 started, 187 finished, a smaller proportion than in the 1994 blizzard when one competitor died due to hypothermia.
    Just so Anthony but what Bill Smith also reported in The Fellrunner (July 1983) was that in the ladies race "all were suitably clad" and 12 of the 15 entries finished - possibly suggesting that, like you, women have a more sensible approach to ensure their survival than more machismo men?
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 16-08-2019 at 06:24 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Maybe so Anthony but what Bill Smith also reported in The Fellrunner (July 1983) was that in the ladies race "all were suitably clad" and 12 of the 15 entries finished - possibly suggesting that women have a more sensible approach to ensure their survival than machismo men?
    My clothing was certainly sensible for ensuring survival. It just wasn't very sensible for trying to get round the Kentmere Horseshoe in under 4 hours.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

I like being out in the rain, don’t like setting off in the rain

I've just had a cracking couple of days barbel fishing on the river Severn, so love this weather.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    I've just had a cracking couple of days barbel fishing on the river Severn, so love this weather.
    Guessing the English end of the Severn?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Just did the Hob Hurst Fell Race this evening. Rainy,Windy, Muddy. Fantastic!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Guessing the English end of the Severn?
    Buildwas, up from Ironbridge. But I still go a bit between Newtown and welshpool, some good fishing there.