Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Who likes 'bad' weather?

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
    Drying room at work is very civilised - you'll be telling me you have bike storage that is actually secure next
    Ermmm...yes we do in an underground car-park with CCTV though that still has not stopped one bike from being stolen. It had a very poor lock though to be fair.
    Cycle to work scheme is very active and have showers and lockers for gear too!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

That's awesome!!

Vive la révolution

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Bognor Regis seafront promenade with a southwesterly gale blowing in from the sea: wonderful! But I don't think I'd like the place on a sunny day in Summer.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Rather challenging windy conditions on the Malverns yesterday - one of those that seemed to be a head wind whichever way you turned. Found a bit of shelter on the way back to the van and avoided British Camp as I had difficulty standing up on the top on the way out.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

PeteS, anthonykay - these both sound awesome!!

Happy to hear you are enjoying the weather - thanks for sharing

If i'm training, I generally prefer fairly nice conditions given the choice, particularly on the bike. Although I love a very wet, boggy headtorch run across the moors. And I find the dark winter nights very comforting on my commute for some reason.

When racing I definitely prefer it to be as foul as possible, most of my better (it's all relative!) results have come when there's been 'a bit of weather'. The infamous Great Lakes champs race from a few years ago is one of my most enjoyable days out, and OMM 2008 was fantastic too. Slightly disappointed that the World Road Champs resulted in 3 Peaks Cyclocross being 2 weeks earlier this year, yesterday would have been perfect!!

I have thought about this a lot ChevinbyTorchlight and I think I agree, I don't like riding my bike in bad weather, but I do love running in bad weather. I am not entirely sure why this is yet, but it's definitely way.

I have never really done any night running, a little I suppose as it was going dark, but going out in the night sounds fun.

Do you not get disoriented only having the pool of light from your torch? I walk in the night all the time and I find a torch makes everything outside of the pool of light go completely black and unless I know the place well it is easy to become disoriented. I often prefer just walking in the dark without the torch, my night vision is good.

I know this thread is about enjoying bad weather, but I am going to check when the full moos are, walking around the moors in the full moonlight is beautiful, I need to do this running!!

When running with the headtorch, if i'm alone then my routes have always tended to be ones which I know really well such as my local trails. Or at least they are routes i'm familiar with and on relatively obvious paths e.g. straight up and down routes, or hills i've done a few times before. I also always take a map & compass for the runs that aren't on local trails, so I can at least check which direction i'm facing, and locate myself with the more obvious features.

If the mist is bad then it can be very different with the light reflecting back at you. I once missed a turning i'd taken literally hundreds of times, and was actively looking for, because the visibility was so poor. Luckily I realised pretty quickly and backtracked.

Thanks, yes of course that makes total sense!!

I know the effect you are describing with the whiteout, I can't remember the last time I experienced it, but it can be quite disorienting and quite scary!

I am going to have to give this a go! In a storm, in the night - it sounds wonderful - thanks for sharing