Thread: Fresh out of the box

Fresh out of the box

Hi guys, so I'm completely new to the sport of fell running. I have got started due to working in scotland and the hills on the door step. I've been out a couple of times but hope to get out in the peak district when I'm home.
    The only issue I have is that I work away regularly so hitting the peaks will be very varied, so it wouldnt be beneficial to join a local club if that makes sense. As it may be every couple of months before I'm even home.
    What would be the best way to get around the peaks? Do any of you guys know any decent routes to point out / specific websites to follow that I can get the maps from?
    Alternatively if anybody wants to get in touch when I'm back I would happily be shown some routes if that was possible, it could be a nice warm up for somebody 😂
    All help and any tips greatly appreciated

JB

Hello jb

A good way to find routes is to look through the “races” section on the FRA website, there’s usually a link to the race website, and often they contain a route map. And there you go!

Otherwise just get out and string a few tops together using a map of your own. Infinite routes available to you!

A nice starter route I did in the Peaks was from Castleton, up the Winnatts Pass Road, onto Mam Tor, Lose Hill, down into Hope, and back into Castleton. Think it was about 10 miles.

Enjoy Scotland!!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Hello jb

A good way to find routes is to look through the “races” section on the FRA website, there’s usually a link to the race website, and often they contain a route map. And there you go!

Otherwise just get out and string a few tops together using a map of your own. Infinite routes available to you!

A nice starter route I did in the Peaks was from Castleton, up the Winnatts Pass Road, onto Mam Tor, Lose Hill, down into Hope, and back into Castleton. Think it was about 10 miles.

Enjoy Scotland!!
    Hi travs
    Thanks for coming back to me, I will certainly check out the races.

I think for now my only realistic option is just getting the map out and just getting out there! I've got the OL1 map on route to me to make some plans for when I'm home.

That also sound a decent little run there, 10miles not sure how that would set me off I've been running a few times over these hills here and when I say running its definitely a mix of walks and runs as the hills are ridiculous steep in parts.

Thanks again buddy

Whereabouts in the Peak do you live?

Hi Geoff, I actually live rotherham way but the peaks to me are the closest/best hills to run. It's about an 45minutes drive or so.

Quote Originally Posted by JB84 View Post
    Hi Geoff, I actually live rotherham way but the peaks to me are the closest/best hills to run. It's about an 45minutes drive or so.
    Ok, so you've got some great running along the Eastern Edges (Burbage, Stanage, Derwent etc.) all within fairly easy reach. And, as Travs said, the Hope Valley has got some excellent routes.

Quote Originally Posted by JB84 View Post
    There are some good, offroad, short hill reps to be had at Rother Valley Country Park and Ulley Resevoir
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Hi Geoff thanks for the reply sorry for the delay! I've been out a few times now, managed a few runs out edale way. I have done a few 8 mile runs. Might even sign up to a race now!

Thanks buddy, I'll check it out for sure. Not too far away from me really that.