Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoes Shoes Shoes

Shoes Shoes Shoes

Hello,

Can anyone help me sort out my day-to-day running shoes please?

Ive been a road runner for around 32 years, completing many full and half marathons, using 8mm drop shoes (usually Asics and Saucony). Last year I moved home to somewhere more rural and surrounded by hills so took the plunge to trail and fell running. I've done a few fell races, the last being Kinder Trog.

However, I am definitely confused with the array of shoes available and want something that gives reasonable cushioning but allows me to feel the ground. The terrain I run over varies from forest paths, to gravel tracks and a lot of grassy hills.I average about 40-50 miles per week all off road.

Ive tried lots of shoes mainly Inov8 Parkclaw (yes I know - but they felt very comfortable until the midsole wore through to the shank on the last couple of pairs, after about 200 miles!!!)I'm currently alternating between the Saucony Guide ISO and the Inov8 Trailtalon, but I've also tried the Salomon Sense Ride and found the Mudclaw's very good for the Kinder Trog.

I am confused.com

Any ideas and suggestions would be gratefully received.

I'd just go for some trail shoes with decent grip.

Worth looking at La Sportiva, all their shoes are of highest quality in my opinion.

I'm currently using the Hoka Speedgoat trail shoes... although I expect they are way too cushioned for most.

I'd certainly only use pure fell shoes for races, or pure fell training.

I'm just getting back into running again and I ended up with Altra High Peaks - they are great for me! 0-drop, good grip, seem to be holding up well, although I should say I am a beginner (again) and have only covered about 33 miles in them so far.

I went to Snow and Rock in Leeds and a lovely chap called Corrie sorted me and my funny feet out. His attention to detail was excellent, one of the best shoe fittings I have ever had. He clearly loves his job and was as happy as I was. Highly recommended if you are anywhere near there.

Scott RC
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Scott RC
    Yes.

Scott shoes seem to be of the highest quality as well. I use the RC Ultra as my go-to fell race shoes at the moment (despite them not strictly being pure fell shoes). The comfort, quality and grip has been so good, I've been trying to find an excuse to not like them and to buy some 'pure' fell shoes, but at the moment I can't find a reason, and I've used them most of the year in all conditions.

Wow - that Scott RC website is rather... erm... stylish?

Thanks for the replies. I’ll have a look at Scott (which I never considered) and La Sportiva.
    Much appreciated.

Whilst on the subject of shoes an observation about ON Cloud Ace shoes which others might find useful.
    ON shoes seem to be very popular but I have always thought them a bit pricey. However, having a couple of vouchers and club discount, I decided to give them a try. Mike, at my local shop, Run Forest Run, let me put a few pairs through their paces on the treadmill and I found them to be light and comfortable. I plumped for a pair of Cloud Ace trail shoes. My first few runs on flat and straight surfaces were fine but as soon as I started running on gradients,cambers or turning sharply I noticed that the shoes were rubbing on my ankle bones. The cutaway around the ankle is quite high, so beware. Other than that they are a great fit and I shall continue to use them for straight line running only!
    I’ll stick with Scott shoes in future, also stocked by Run Forest Run.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Shoes are in general such a minefield....or possibly I am very fussy....I don't feel like a fitting in a shop gives you enough to know how they perform over distance or with your own gait characteristics etc.

Given raft of experience about, and combining some threads, what are the thoughts on VJ XTRM vs Scott RC or (Ultra RC) for running tougher longs (10-25 miles)?

To note, although the "standard" on the start line now Inov8 just don't cut it for me, fit and quality issues with all sorts:

- 9.5 Mudclaw too tight in forefoot (also rules out any of the other lighter more "Precision" fit Inov8's)
    - 9.5 X-Talon Ultra 260 too much in shoe movement contouring and descending & unpleasant "feel" (but no black toenails...) - Also bit flimsy, studs tore off after c. 30 miles.
    - Roclite 305 very good, better fit but insufficient grip for racing on wet grass/bog etc - more a trail shoe.

As a side note, before looking for "Pure Fell" shoes I was happy in Brooks Cascadia 12s for drier days (again comfortable if ever so slightly large fit in 9.5) but they don't handle proper Fell at pace (too high a drop /stack height in my opinion & a little heavy)...

As you may be able to tell having a mare getting my race shoe nailed....

I'd recommend both of them for tougher longs...

My previous shoes were VJ Xtrm and they were superb, possibly the best I've ever had. Unfortunately I trashed them with a week of running over scree and other incredibly tough terrain in Skye, and even their longevity couldn't hold out.

I've now got the Scott Ultra RC which I have been using as my regular race shoes since the spring. Despite not perhaps being 'pure' fell shoes, they haven't put a foot wrong and I've worn them in everything from TWA, Snowdon Uphill, Fairfield Horseshoe, Four Fans, many more.

Admittedly with the dry summer, I probably haven't had an absolutely foul weather race to wear them in, but they've coped with everything.

They are so comfortable that i'm now relegated them from the fells and 'running them in' on the road/trail ready for the Snowdonia Marathon. Headed up the lakes this weekend where I intend to either buy another pair for the fells, or possibly try the non-ultra version.

Also a great shout for the VJ Irocks which were indestructible and possibly more comfortable than the Xtrm, but less cushioned.