Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoes Shoes Shoes

Eee lads, lads! Life used to me so much simpler. There was only one choice to Make. Walsh PB trainers or PB Racers. Trainers for , well, training or longer runs when more cushioning was needed and racers for, well, racing! All these johnny-come-lately brands have just muddied the waters! Take a look at race times from 30 years ago and now. Have speeds gone up because of newer 'better' shoes. Have they heck! KISS!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

I totally agree, and I loathe to comment usually on such threads... however the two shoes mentioned were my previous two shoes, so I thought I had something to add... and it can’t hurt to be welcoming to new forumites..!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Eee lads, lads! Life used to me so much simpler. There was only one choice to Make. Walsh PB trainers or PB Racers. Trainers for , well, training or longer runs when more cushioning was needed and racers for, well, racing! All these johnny-come-lately brands have just muddied the waters! Take a look at race times from 30 years ago and now. Have speeds gone up because of newer 'better' shoes. Have they heck! KISS!
    I can't agree more Wheeze, variety of choice is ironically the issue...would it be that a single brand held the market it might be easier - given the hertiage (and very reasonable price! of PBs I would like to think they could be a simple choice but they seem to not have the following they once held, and those upper look like they would hold water - I only saw 1 pair being used at the weekend in a field of 300+ :-( - Do they really still cut it?

I realise I made a mistake in my earlier post, the shoes I have are Altra Lone Peak, not High Peak! Sorry about that!

For the record 66 miles in and they are holding up well - I like them - super comfortable

Wheeze, you missed out the Walsh Raid! The choice of many for the Bob Graham.....a few years ago
    A circular route mostly downhill

Anyone remember ETA's from the late 80's / early 90's manufactured by Evans Townson and Anderson? They used to match my purple shorts :-)
    See the light in the night

I’ve tried a few others & own a couple of pair of Inov8 shoes. However, I still haven’t found anything that grips better than a Walsh PB sole. Yes, Inov8, Saloman et al are now more popular. I wonder if this on part due to investment in marketing, not just more modern materials.

Someone mentioned concerns about Walsh holding on to water - I’ve found they take on maybe a little bit more than my X Talon 210 but not so much as to be a big issue.

Finlay Wild set records on the Cuillin Ridge, Snowdon Horseshoe, Welsh 3000s & has won 10 consecutive Ben Nevis races in Walsg PB Racers - if they’re good enough for him then...

Agree with the marketing hype... some of the comments on the Facebook page in relation to the new Inov8 graphene shoes were laughable/borderline hysteria, and you only have to take a brief glance at the comments on Nike/etc ads that pop up on your facebook page to see it's even worse on the roads...!

It appears to be the same for all sports now, marketing hype to sell the best(I.e. most expensive) kit, I was reading a Cycling Weekly review on a Carbon fibre Holdsworth bike at the weekend, it was a really nice bike, far superior to anything I raced on in the early 90’s, the reviewer rated it but said it wasn’t good enough to race on which was absolute rubbish, it seems that now unless is over £5K in cycling it’s just fit for Sportives, nice things are nice, ie Graphene shoes, Pinarello Dogma’s etc etc but not essential, I do recall from my racing days that quiet often the guy on an old bike, with old kit was the fella to watch as he was the person putting the miles in.
    Essentially what anyone can do in an all singing all dancing super modern running shoe, they can do in a Walsh it’s all down to hard work.

The marketing hype around Nike’s current top end shoes is something else. There is no shoe that will make anyone as supremely talented as Eliud Kipchoge & his nearest competition. People do seem go for it though!

Inov8 have certainly done a good job of making more modern fell shoes but I do find the massive range baffling & the marketing bullshit, well, just that.

It’s been a few issues since I’ve seen a Walsh advert in The Fellrunner but the last one had a touch of minimalist class - just a photo of the PB sole, with something along the lines of ‘As worn by Finlay Wild, British Fell Running Champion’.