Thread: Approach shoes or Fell shoes

Approach shoes or Fell shoes

I'm going up onto Cuiliin ridge with a guide to do InPin in a few weeks. I've been up onto the ridge several times and always just wear my fell shoes Mutants or Salomon Speedtrack atm. The guide is saying to wear approach shoes. Is this due to the stiffness of the sole? I find the Mutants pretty stiff and very good for everything. I don't want to shell out more cash. What do you think. I was thinking about taking my Brooks Cascadias or something. Neil

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I guess a lot would be down to how confident you are on rock in the first place. The In pinn is technically not that hard (at most v diff) and if you can climb well, either of your fell shoes should be fine. Probably best run it past the guide first though.

I would have thought that if you are engaging the services of a guide then his/her advice should be heeded. I have always worn boots on my visits to the Cuillin ridge but then I wasn't running, apart from down the Stone Shoot!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Sorry to take slightly off topic... but is the climb and descent to/from Sgurr Alsaidar via the stone chute reasonable for a competent runner/walker... or are “real” scrambling skills necessary to gain the actual summit from the top of the chute...?

I'm fairly confident and have done a fair amount of scrambling. Things like Devils Ridge and Aonogh Eagagh. I've never been that sure what the difference is between approach shoes and trail shoes. Some seem to be equally as flexible as the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Sorry to take slightly off topic... but is the climb and descent to/from Sgurr Alsaidar via the stone chute reasonable for a competent runner/walker... or are “real” scrambling skills necessary to gain the actual summit from the top of the chute...?
    I have done Sgurr Alasdair via the Stone Chute in good weather conditions. The last part is a scramble requiring use of the hands with some exposure, but no actual climbing. The Stone Chute is a slog and would soon kill just about any pair of shoes, personally I wouldn't do it in anything other than boots if you value your ankles, also never ascend/descend the chute directly behind or in front of anyone due to dislodged rolling rocks that will inevitably happen on any ascent/descent. On a good day the views from the summit (which is only small) are awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by neilly View Post
    I'm going up onto Cuiliin ridge with a guide to do InPin in a few weeks. I've been up onto the ridge several times and always just wear my fell shoes Mutants or Salomon Speedtrack atm. The guide is saying to wear approach shoes. Is this due to the stiffness of the sole? I find the Mutants pretty stiff and very good for everything. I don't want to shell out more cash. What do you think. I was thinking about taking my Brooks Cascadias or something. Neil
    mutants are brilliant on rock. I did a very extended traverse wearing mutants. I do find that they are pretty rubbish on scree though.