Thread: Tryfan - the gnarliest fell race?

Probably, but the descent off the last Pap in the Jura race is potentially dangerous.

Pennine's Muir Morton won that a few years ago, he reckons he broke the record but they had not recorded the times properly.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    Pennine's Muir Morton won that a few years ago, he reckons he broke the record but they had not recorded the times properly.
    Absolutely, it was filmed by S4C and they had a big digital clock at the finish that clearly showed 7:50 as Muir hit the wall at the bottom. Unfortunately Muir doesn't speak Welsh so couldn't argue with the decision. I still have a recording of it.

Does a downhill only race count? Sure the run down is rough but then so are parts of Cnicht which are potentially worse because of the vertical bedding planes of the slate. A tumble there would be like hitting a cheese grater! But I agree with Mattpo, for continued exposure to horrendously rough ground, the Paps take some beating. I never did the Arrochar Alps but I suspect that might also be pretty extreme. Any one done that one?
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Banned
    Coniston gullies and Alva both have very tough technical and rough descents.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Coniston gullies and Alva both have very tough technical and rough descents.
    But they don't go on for as long as the Tryfan descent. Although the Tryfan descent doesn't go on for as long as is claimed. The OS map shows a spot height of 917 metres at the summit of Tryfan, and 306 metres on the road by Llyn Ogwen, so I've no idea where they get the claimed 680 metres of descent from. That would require a start nearly at the top of Glyder Fach: anyone fancy the Bristly Ridge downhill race?
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    I never did the Arrochar Alps but I suspect that might also be pretty extreme. Any one done that one?
    I did Arrochar Alps when it was a British Champs race in 2012. It's a pretty steep descent from Ben Vorlich to Loch Sloy, but I don't remember being especially gnarly. I hope not anyway, as it's in the Pennine Champs next year and I've sold it to my wife as something she'll enjoy! Ok, she's done Jura three times and keeps going back for more, so I know she'll be fine.

Thanks Geoff.
    Bristly Ridge? Oh yeah, that would be RAD!
    Mindyou. Carnedd Ugain to pen Y Pass car park would be mighty rough, not to mention lethal!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth