Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Faroese Mountain Marathon

I think that bridge is Denmark-Sweden, so no I wouldn't be going over that...

This race is probably not too commercial yet (although I certainly wouldn't have any interest in attending the 'festival'.... but if it gains in popularity I expect it would inevitably become more high-profile in the coming years...

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    There used to be a ferry that did a circuit via Shetland, Faroe, Iceland, Norway, Denmark, which would have reduced the amount of driving. I believe the service stopped in about 2008.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

I'd be tempted to go out of my way, or at least look to see if there was a ferry from somewhere in Sweden, but yeah it's a considerable extra expense and probably a long way out just to drive over a bridge

Yes, the 'festival' is not particularly of interest, although I could see how one could get caught up in it at the time and more so if they had a lineup I was more interested in!

While I realise the additional activities are entirely optional, it is this conflation of activities that makes it a bit confusing. I don't need an organised event to go wild swimming?! The only one that does appeal is the Sea Kayaking, I've done this before and it's really good fun, I don't have any of the gear so the only way I get to do this is though an organised event, but wait, I thought I was going to these islands to run around the hills, not kayak!

Maybe I am just being a bit grumpy heheh I tend to prefer my own company, one or two people and sometimes small groups

You make a good case for doing it sooner rather than later - I like it

I'm also pretty sure there used to be a ferry service from Aberdeen to Torshavn, although this appears to have stopped a number of years ago too...

Master
    Although it looks very commercial, it certainly wasn't last year, more a group of very enthusiastic people! We weren't interested in most of the festival either, but there's plenty else to do, we flew from Edinburgh and hired a car, spending the previous week there doing a bit of walking and half a day's climbing. We did the sea kayaking, which was rather disappointing as high winds restricted us to going up and down a rather drab fjord, but that was just bad luck.
    Regarding access to the hills - the ones we picked (at random) were free to access. Local and internet advice for one of them was that a guide was essential for some of it as it was too hard to follow the right route otherwise, but we didn't bother and found a line of big cairns clearly marking the way! We did have a few other random plans of things to try but the weather didn't allow.

I'm going to fly from Edinburgh. It's pretty cheap. You can get a Airbnb in Torshavn pretty reasonable. I'm going to enter the 42k. Weather looks ideal for s Scot- mild, damp and misty. See you there.

I thought that race entry was available from the 20th... it appears now that early-bird tickets available from the 30th if you sign up your email address... I’ve done so, with the aim of entering the 60km... hopefully a bit of a discount on ticket prices with the early-bird!

And I must admit, having looked at the cheap prices for flights, it’s a massive consideration. Could even fly from down here at Birmingham, via Copenhagen...

Good to hear it's not that commercial!! That helps - thanks Toreador

Will give it some thought, would be great to have something to look forward to like that; two things make me hesitate, my own personal progress and where I will be this time next year is anyone's guess and finances - a large project just fell through, booooo! ...but waiting to hear on a couple of other bits of work that could see me through the next year or so... fingers crossed!

That's me entered the 42k. Missed the early bird deal by a day. Booked flights from Edinburgh for £150 return. I think I got the last of the cheap seats. The flights mean you need to be away for a full week so happy days!