Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Public Transport

Public Transport

Starting a new thread to continue on from here:

https://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/show...l=1#post653782

That post and replies until we get to:

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    If local public transport here in Blackburn was free, which is bus based, I still wouldn't use it. It isn't much cop whatever the price as the busses tend to go places I don't want to go.

I might use the local train service. I have regular trips to Burnley and I have Cheery Tree station 2-3 minutes walk away.
    But even then, my wife has gone to Burnley to watch the football on a weeknight on the train, returned to Burnley Central after the match to find no trains - they've been cancelled, and I had to go and pick her up.

The quality of the service, frequency, reliability and the destination options are more important than free, as long as the price is affordable.

Anyway, this is a Brexit thread, so if this is up for further discussion, perhaps open a public transport thread.
    I agree completely, the point being that the privatisation of public transport has rendered the less popular routes unprofitable and subsequently abandoned.

Completely unacceptable in my book.

The reality should be a public transport system that works, not one that is fundamentally broken on practically every level. In fact I would go as far to say that the only way our current public transport system works is to take money from public taxation by way of subsidies and to take money from our pockets directly by way of extortion.

Also, the recent introduction of peak times int he afternoon has effectively established a third class of transport:

1st class empty carriages for rich people who have more money than sense (£444 return from Leeds to London at peak time - I am not joking the is the actual cost - look it up - who does that?)

2nd class for working folk who just about manage to afford the extortion

3d class for peasants like me who can't afford to travel at peak times

Whenever I buy a ticket I always ask for scumbag class, the ticket sellers at the train station are cool, they agree and laugh along with me

Here's the full list of fares available for travel tomorrow morning from Leeds to London:

Fares:
    Advance (Standard Class) £99.50 £119.50
    West Yorkshire Executive Single Package £182.00
    Off-Peak Return £186.00
    Standard Business Package [London North Eastern Railway] £283.00
    Anytime Single £132.50
    Anytime Return £265.00
    Advance (1st Class) £131.00 £158.00 £182.00 £206.00
    Off-Peak Return £342.00
    Anytime Single (1st Class) £215.00
    Anytime Single (1st Class) £222.00
    Anytime Return (1st Class) £430.00
    Anytime Return (1st Class) £444.00

The trains in this country are an absolute disgrace. For 10 years, I weekly commuted from Wales to London. The cost, discomfort, major angst and severe delays and general buggeration factor was such that I was becoming depressed. Switched to a car 10 years ago and have never looked back. I cant say I didnt try but even going near Paddington these days brings me out in a cold sweat!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Have we found a thread where we all agree... I competely agree with the posts here.

The fare structures for train travel are ridiculous. Having to decide over a month in advance that you are travelling in order to get an affordable ticket is ridiculous. I do not see why there can not be one single fare for each journey (okay two a first class and second class fare), which is the same whether you buy two months or two minutes before you board. All the trains are timetabled waaay in advance, so I don't know how advance booking is somehow 'good' for the train company, I mean they theoretically have to run the train whether full or empty. Maybe someone can explain that to me.

I feel that the public (ahem) transport should be run to provide a service to the public, at cost, for the benefit of society rather than as a private money making exercise...

<devil's advocate>
    I do like the idea of free buses, but just as a thought; if all bus journeys were free, how many journeys which people would have previoulsy walked would instead be taken by bus?
    </devil's advocate>

<devil's advocate>
    I do like the idea of free buses, but just as a thought; if all bus journeys were free, how many journeys which people would have previoulsy walked would instead be taken by bus?
    </devil's advocate>[/QUOTE]

hahaha I just read the other thread and discovered this point had already been made.

Quote Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
    Here's the full list of fares available for travel tomorrow morning from Leeds to London:

Fares:
    Advance (Standard Class) £99.50 £119.50
    West Yorkshire Executive Single Package £182.00
    Off-Peak Return £186.00
    Standard Business Package [London North Eastern Railway] £283.00
    Anytime Single £132.50
    Anytime Return £265.00
    Advance (1st Class) £131.00 £158.00 £182.00 £206.00
    Off-Peak Return £342.00
    Anytime Single (1st Class) £215.00
    Anytime Single (1st Class) £222.00
    Anytime Return (1st Class) £430.00
    Anytime Return (1st Class) £444.00
    These prices can be justified by the train companies because the tickets are purchased. But by whom, not you and me, but by NHS staff, local government officials, other government departments and quango's such as Natural England and National Park staff all going to pointless meetings and on jollies!
    A friend of mine, who works in the Criminal Justice System, goes 3 times a week to London on the train for meetings that she says are pointless and could quite easily be done by video conferencing. In fact, many of them do not even take place and she returns home on the next train!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I had a look and found a Super Off-peak return from Leeds to London for £113.50, if you travel at the right time. But that is still really expensive for anyone who isn't having their fare paid by their employer. I am actually a member of an organisation called Railfuture which campaigns for various improvements to the railway system in this country, including more sensible fares: railfuture.org.uk . But it is a really slow grind, trying to get even small improvements.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

One of the downsides of free travel is highlighted by the free bus pass system, I'm nearly there, whereby buses, especially to the seaside and tourist hotspots are full of pensioners going for a day out or to keep warm. This leaves no room for people who need to travel.

Looking forward to my pass!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    These prices can be justified by the train companies because the tickets are purchased. But by whom, not you and me, but by NHS staff, local government officials, other government departments and quango's such as Natural England and National Park staff all going to pointless meetings and on jollies!
    A friend of mine, who works in the Criminal Justice System, goes 3 times a week to London on the train for meetings that she says are pointless and could quite easily be done by video conferencing. In fact, many of them do not even take place and she returns home on the next train!
    I was a foster carer as some may know for 7 years.

I had a case that went for adoption.

As foster carers we were asked to drive 200+ miles to deliver our charges to the new parents.

We were asked to stay in the area the following day so that if the new parents had any difficulties, we were in a position to turn up and offer support.
    So it was a 2 night stay.

We had to submit in advance our accommodation for approval.

Foster carers are paid by the day. The day we hand back, we aren't paid for (I found out afterwards) so we received our allowance for the day we delivered, but that was it.
    We didn't get anything for the day we stayed down there or the day we travelled back.

We also only received one night of our accommodation, even though we were asked to stay down there the next day.
    It seems they expected us to drive back at 7:00pm or later; a 200 mile+ journey.

Meanwhile the local social worker had to manage the hand over and that involved her visiting on several occasions over the next few months, sharing the workload with the local social services.

It involved 4 visits that I know of.

All 1st class rail - she told us.

All in more expensive hotels that we were allowed - she told us where she stayed.

Allowing a day to travel down, a day to do the assessment, a day to return. 3 days, two night stay, one appointment.

So I concur with the point made.

I think that HS2 in particular, is less for business, less for individuals, more for the civil service who avail themselves of the best of public transport that most of us cannot afford, or our business will not support.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

HS2 is an essential part of the long term plan to move Government to the ONLY major inland city in Britain. This will become necessary when sea level rises threatens the security of London and the other major cities.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth