Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Public Transport

I see sales of the Tesla 3 overtook the Ford Focus to become the UK's 3rd best selling car last month.

I also see that every purchaser received a £3500 government grant paid out of our tax.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Oh I must pop to the garage and pick one up this weekend

They start at ~£35,000 but to get anything reasonable:

"Long Range Model S cars cost £77,200 and come with 375-miles of WLTP range a 155mph top speed and a 0-60mph time of 3.7 seconds.

Upgrading to the Performance variants loses you 10-miles of range but slashes the acceleration time to just 2.4-seconds.

For the Model X, the Long Range model costs £82,200 come with 315-miles WLTP range, 155mph top speed and 4.4-second sprint time.

Performance variants come with 300-miles of range and a 0-60mph sprint time of 2.7 seconds and costs £96,400."

I don't see how this is a solution for most people, maybe if I sold my house and lived in the car it could work, pretty sure there are rules against that sort of thing and my personal hygiene would suffer

I agree that the £3,500 bonus is ill conceived at best, this is just yet another keep the rich rich bonus for very wealthy people (who if they can afford £35,000 - £90,000 can very obviously afford £38,500 - £93,500) at the expense of us wage slaves!

That money could be put to much better use I am sure...

Maybe I actually don't have a say here, I mean spending £30K on a car to me seems totally unachievable, never mind the best part of £100K; if I was looking to get a car, I'd be looking second hand and around £1K?

Can I just have the £3500 bonus? That would sort me out with a nice efficient relatively environmentally friendly set of wheels no problemo!!

I am obviously in the scumbag loser class of society, I could drop off the face of the planet tomorrow and only my family and a few friends would care (I am well friended, not saying anything against these lovely people, just a reality check), basically I am a nobody and am so far out of touch with what modern day life and earnings are that I am pretty much completely irrelevant to anything.

How do people afford these things? What kind of work do they do to be able to drop £100K on a car and still be able to have a nice home, presumably with a garage to park said car in, pay all my bills etc...?

I'm not stupid, I can wrestle with extremely challenging computer science stuff, so what am I doing wrong? The jobs I see listed are £30-40K a year for my skill set, which seems very low and no where near enough to afford that lifestyle.

Sorry, bit of a digression there, feel free to ignore me, suddenly feel a bit down if I am honest

You’d be surprised the quality of car you can get on finance... my car had a “when new” value of not far off £30,000... but it was 7 years old when I got it.... but had only done 14000 miles, which is nothing in a car of that quality (I’ve done that again and more in less than a year of owning it...

But i spent weeks and weeks searching for a deal that good, and basically then had to put down a couple of grand deposit (returnable) over the phone without even seeing the car in the flesh, to secure it...

Most jobs in my industry come with a company car or car allowance scheme due to the travel necessities of the job... a car allowance scheme can be up to £5000 of additional yearly salary to own and fund your own car... this, as I have alluded to in an earlier post, can be a bit of a minefield as you have to weigh up the tax rate of a company car, against the cost of owning/leasing your own. Effectively once you get past a certain value of car, it becomes so draining on tax that it outweighs the cost benefit of having it provided to you free by your employer...

There are other schemes... one of the best ones I had was a fuel card from my employer, for business and personal use... I kept a record of total mileage and business mileage, and paid tax on the difference, effectively paying only tax on all of my personal fuel (very beneficial when knocking out long journeys to Fell races on a regular basis).

Currently I receive a very considerable mileage allowance on my business mileage.... this allows me freedom to pick and choose my own car, and effectively make a profit every time I use it for business... for example on a recent trip to a town in the Cotswolds to survey a customer site, I claimed around £45 expenses in fuel... it cost me less than £15 in fuel... obviously they are paying you for wear and tear in your vehicle, and potential insurance increase for a higher yearly mileage, but the profit advantages are clear to see...

I do however agree your point that I can’t see how people can just go out and buy a new car for “cash”.... just saying there are various ways to fund and subsidise a very good quality vehicle...

Admittedly I speak from a position of having a good salary and being fortunate (or possibly sad and alone) enough to have very few other commitments apart from mortgage and bills, and no immediately family to provide for...

DM, you're right, the up front cost of these cars is ridiculous. But very few will be bought for that cash price. Most will be on PCP or some other instrument.
    Never, ever put yourself down! You are an artisan...you make things! Its a sad fact of life that few want to spend the money on human-made things any more. But you have something that not even money can buy. A skill.

Anyway, enough pontificating. Sorry.

Going back to transportation. Fuel cell cars could be viable if manufacturers could agree on a standard H2 tank that could be swapped over at a refuelling station. This avoids the danger of self-filling. Renault had that idea for batteries...but no-one could agree on a standard.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Phew... once again, thank you Travs, you're right

I am coming back around pretty quick from that little slip down the depression slope, urgh... it's a dark hole down there!! The reality is that I am not there and have no grounds for complaint at all really, I live a good and relatively unencumbered life that by and large I have a lot of choice over and actually, I never really wanted to be rich or really tried to get there. Basically where I am is my choice and I am good with it on the whole.

I guess I feel that there are too many people who are not there for whatever reason and I am the kind of person that sees injustice in the world, gets upset by it, wants to do something to help but ultimately feels pretty helpless. That's why I want to talk openly about these things, who knows what might come of our discussions here? I think it's great that a fell running forum is open to discussing these challenging topics. I know I am new here, but you guys have made me feel very welcome and it's good to be here, thank you

It's probably a good idea for me, just now, to focus on the public/private transport aspect again rather than pondering lifestyle choices, although there are clearly relevant and related issues to be discussed there too.

A few things from the article I posted above:

Generally speaking pollution from vehicles is not as much as pollution from households.

The way the private transportation taxation is setup at the moment is basically a bad hangover, not really very good economics and represents ever decreasing income for the government.

The idea is presented that taxation on private transport should predominantly be based on congestion not on fuel use per se. This makes loads of sense in many ways and inherently deals with a lot of the problems associated with fuel tax.

It's worth a look - there's definitely some food for thought in there!

Thanks Wheeze, you're right too

I love what I do most of the time and I am free to walk (and run) around our beautiful countryside - what more do I need to say?

Fuel cells sound like a good idea, I want to know where the Mr. Fusion generator that uses garbage as fuel is

Get one on the never never, having taken equity out of your house. Why compromise when you can get something you can't actually afford.

BTW: I was in the states recently, my Uber driver was telling me his non-work car is a Tesla sport - he got it for £45k which he can just afford as he makes $60k a year from his normal driving job and $30k a year from his Uber job.

DM, you're Down the Pub. Its just that this pub only has fell (or ex!!) fell runners in it!
    I,m glad you have discovered it and you also appreciate it. T'Forum has fallen on lean times recently what with the rise of BookFace and some recent unseemly spats that put more tender flowers off. You're left with the tough old rump of forumites who cling on through thick and thin.

Maybe you are the Vanguard of a Renaissance??!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Heheheh very good

Wow! Sounds like he drives ... a lot!! Driving for main job, driving for second job then going home and investing all his hard earned into... wait for it... driving for pleasure! Does this guy ever not drive? Does he sleep-drive?

Sometimes I wonder if it is all just about our chosen priorities?