Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

The Megalithic European is my next buy when I finished this, I did um and ah over the Modern Antiquarian for ages as it wasn’t cheap but definitely worth it, I knew a load of folk on here would have read it, I think most runners who run off road either low level or high level are aware that the routes they’re following are more than likely the routes that others have followed for thousands of years, I’m with you PeteS I like nothing more that rooting out ancient monuments, my favourites are just the round house settlements, autumn twilight, wood smoke, just getting cold, I think I read Stig of the Dump too many times as a kid

undercover moderator

1. Is that Alan Garner of Weirdstone of Brisingamen fame?
    2. Where have you been Mud??

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    The Megalithic European is my next buy when I finished this, I did um and ah over the Modern Antiquarian for ages as it wasn’t cheap but definitely worth it, I knew a load of folk on here would have read it, I think most runners who run off road either low level or high level are aware that the routes they’re following are more than likely the routes that others have followed for thousands of years, I’m with you PeteS I like nothing more that rooting out ancient monuments, my favourites are just the round house settlements, autumn twilight, wood smoke, just getting cold, I think I read Stig of the Dump too many times as a kid
    I shall seek out the Megalithic European - would make an ideal present for the wife. (She read archaeology and ancient history at uni so holidays are quite often road trips and walks entailing various ancient sites.)
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    1. Is that Alan Garner of Weirdstone of Brisingamen fame?
    I believe so!

This was one of the first books I read as a child that scared the crap out of me.

Is this the one where they end up in tunnels and have to swim under water to find their way through them?

If that is the one, I had nightmares about being stuck in the U-bend for years afterwards - it still makes me feel a bit uncomfortable thinking about it now!

I am definitely interested on this new offering, although now I look it isn't that new

In fact, I have some catching up to do, I am pretty sure the only other one of his I have read is the Moon of Gomrath.

Elidor, 1965
    The Owl Service, 1967
    Red Shift, 1973
    Strandloper, 1996
    Thursbitch, 2003
    Boneland, 2012

How to Spot a Psychopath by Joe Navarro

"Not all psychopaths are the brutal murderers you see on television. There are plenty of heartless people without a conscience that you meet every day. And if you let them, they'll wreck your life. Navarro, a long time FBI agent shows you how to spot these predators in human form, no matter how charming, slick and empathetic they seem to be. The essay (book is too grand a term for this article-length publication) is built around a checklist of 150 questions that will help you see these people for what they really are."

This review sums it up nicely!

Just wanted to say thank you for the Art of Running Faster recommendation.

This has been a blast, thank you everyone, but I need to remove myself from here because the forum is being ruined and it's making me feel irritated and that is not what I want in my life.

I hope things settle down soon and we can get back to behaving like human being instead of politicians, until then good luck!!

Happy running (and reading!!)

Don't leave DM, just stick to the running and non political topics. I agree that there are obsessive binary people on here who love to rant on their point of view over the Brexit debate, but best to ignore them and leave them to it.
    Bollox to Brexit.

Don't leave DM
    I'll second that. We need more reasonable people here, don't get scared off by the swivel-eyed loons!!
    ....it's all downhill from here.