Thread: Today's paddling

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill

Today's paddling

There's a little brook near my house, so small and insignificant that it hasn't even got a name on the OS map. When my son was about 6, we put on wellies and walked along the stream bed. On all my usual running routes I cross this brook (by a bridge) soon after the start of the run.

Today the brook was a raging torrent, running over the bridge. And the next bridge. But the third bridge was still above the stream; yet, ironically, this bridge was fenced off because of a fallen willow tree on the other side. But the people who had put up the temporary fencing hadn't reckoned that anyone would be willing to wade through a nettle patch to get round it, and then duck under a branch of the fallen tree on the other side.

The rest of the run was less eventful. The water on the footpaths (footbaths?) never came more than about halfway up my shins.

Anyone else been for a paddle?
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Went cycling last night. Wet, wet, wet. Does that count as paddling?

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Ditto. Plenty of cycling through floods to be had at the moment.

Master
    Buck Hill and Beacon Hill, with much of the run being through standing water or flowing water. Also two trees down across the path up Beacon Hill. And into the clag around the summit.

People pay exorbitant sums to do obstacle races. I can do it for free.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    A little saunter up tp the Outwoods today: first run for two weeks, since I got a twinge in my calf, but all went well today.

Dishley Parkrun cancelled today; I think that's the third time since late September. Their insurance doesn't cover Parkswim.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    I shall continue to describe my running here and on the Mud thread, since posting on Today's Training would leave me open to accusations of misdescription.

Today's paddling included, as well as the submerged parts of the footpaths, the crossing of the Woodbrook at the bottom of Felicity's Wood, where the stepping stones were well under water. As I emerged from the wood at its upper exit, a lady coming the other way with a dog looked at me and said "Ooh, it's muddy, is it?"

My descent from Beacon Hill was "off piste", which was fine on the upper part of the hill, where it is grazed by Longhorn and Highland cattle during the Summer; but lower down, I was able to confirm that, yes, I am really slow going downhill through bracken with brambles hidden under it.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I shall continue to describe my running here and on the Mud thread, since posting on Today's Training would leave me open to accusations of misdescription.

Today's paddling included, as well as the submerged parts of the footpaths, the crossing of the Woodbrook at the bottom of Felicity's Wood, where the stepping stones were well under water. As I emerged from the wood at its upper exit, a lady coming the other way with a dog looked at me and said "Ooh, it's muddy, is it?"

My descent from Beacon Hill was "off piste", which was fine on the upper part of the hill, where it is grazed by Longhorn and Highland cattle during the Summer; but lower down, I was able to confirm that, yes, I am really slow going downhill through bracken with brambles hidden under it.
    Delightful and different!

(As your writing often is:

Almost The Loch Lyon Watershed
    Memories Of The Oldest Fell Race In South Wales
    The Critical Gradient Straight Up Hills Or Zigzag?
    The 30-minute Kilometre
    The 30-minute Kilometre - Achieved
    The Best Of Times, The Worst of Times)

From The Fellrunner Index 1971-2019
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 08-12-2019 at 12:44 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".