Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Learning about discrimination

Learning about discrimination

For the second time in my life I am learning what it feels like to be discriminated against.
    I am, for my sins, a white caucasian male. As a consequence I represent about 40% of the UK population. My educator has, in this instance, been the BBC.
    I decided to watch question time this week. The panel was 2 white caucasian women,an asian man, an Indian man and an African/American woman.
    I applaud the diversity but I now also understand a scintilla of the feelings of injustice and oppression felt my minorities. Was this the purpose of such a selection?? Was it deliberate not to have a member of a 40% group?. I switched off!

(for the record, the other instance occurred when I was abroad, which I expected)
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Banned
    Well come to modern Britain.

As a white, working, heterosexual, male you have very little standing in this society.

Yet if you speak out you will be labelled and swiftly targeted.

Don't panic yet, on Any questions the BBC had 3 Caucasian men ( one of whom was that nice Mr Farage) and a stroppy ( sorry 'assertive') Caucasian woman. So balance has been restored .

A lively debate ensued .
    Loved it when Nigel was agreeing with the dearth of insects by comparing how plastered his car gets on his commute to Strasbourge and she went ballistic because he 'drove' there. The poor man can get nothing right.

Won't someone think of the white men!
    Geoff Clarke

And have these feelings of being discriminated against given you any new insights? After your initial outrage, how do you now feel about discrimination and representation of groups in society?

Of course.

I don't discriminate myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    I don't discriminate myself.
    Yet you turned QT off because the panel was made up of non-white and/or female people. Why was that? Not suggesting you're anti any of these groups, but it seems odd that you’d turn off on that basis. I’m not a big QT watcher, but I’d guess the ‘40%’ has been pretty well represented over the years.

Also, FYI, Nadhim Zahawi is British (born in Iraq, lived in the UK since 1976). Anand Menon is British. Bonnie Greer has dual nationality (UK and USA, lived in the UK since 1986).
    Last edited by Hank; 08-10-2019 at 10:07 AM.
    Geoff Clarke

I have sympathy with the premise of your point, but I'm not sure this is the best case in which you could identify the problem.

They only tend to have 5 guests. Those 5 guests are mostly picked on political balance and often the party attendees are nominated by the party with no co-ordination.

I think overall if you look at QT, it perhaps has more balance in terms of the demographic you identify.

At a quick glance the previous 4 weeks of this series had 3/5, 2/5, 3/5 and 3/6.

I'm more concerned by this.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I have sympathy with the premise of your point
    What is the premise? I’m inferring from the OP that the value they find in watching QT comes from seeing someone representing them, and that ‘them’ in this context is a British white man. Again I’m making assumptions, but it seems like each of these criteria is essential as a British man with brown skin doesn’t seem to cut it. Shame as, personally, I’d be more than happy with a Wakefield-raised, Leeds United supporting bloke like Anand representing me.

I’m not sure from the OP whether Anand is the Asian or Indian man, but either seems painfully lazy, factually incorrect and is probably something he’s had to put up with all his life. Still, now Wheeze is “learning what it feels like to be discriminated against” I’m guessing he might consider his words more carefully in future.
    Geoff Clarke