Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Learning about discrimination

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post

I'm more concerned by this.
    The BBC over the last couple of years has already parachuted presenters,reporters and pundits from minority groups into roles that they are obviously not up to doing.

This is especially so in their sports coverage.

What is wrong with the getting best person for the job on merit rather than having to have one these and one of those for obviously PC reasons.

We need more experts like Michael Johnson, Colin Jackson, Gareth Thomas, Maggie Alphonsi, Danny Murphy, Catherine Merry, Dani Rowe and Jermaine Jenas who offer the viewer an unbiased insight and get rid of the likes of Alan Shearer, Steve Cram and Paula Radcliffe who offer nothing.

But just making up the numbers. No thanks.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    What is the premise? I’m inferring from the OP that the value they find in watching QT comes from seeing someone representing them, and that ‘them’ in this context is a British white man. Again I’m making assumptions, but it seems like each of these criteria is essential as a British man with brown skin doesn’t seem to cut it. Shame as, personally, I’d be more than happy with a Wakefield-raised, Leeds United supporting bloke like Anand representing me.

I’m not sure from the OP whether Anand is the Asian or Indian man, but either seems painfully lazy, factually incorrect and is probably something he’s had to put up with all his life. Still, now Wheeze is “learning what it feels like to be discriminated against” I’m guessing he might consider his words more carefully in future.
    The premise I took from his statement is that he sometimes feels discriminated against and it seems everyone has to consider their words more carefully in the current climate, unless they are from the worthy side of society who seem answerable only to themselves.
    On both counts the pendulum may have swung too far.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

The premise I took from his statement is that he sometimes feels discriminated against and it seems everyone has to consider their words more carefully in the current climate, unless they are from the worthy side of society who seem answerable only to themselves.
    On both counts the pendulum may have swung too far.
    Ok, I think I get what you're saying. I don't see how the QT thing is an example of discrimination, but maybe we just see it differently. Can we presume the OP is suggesting some kind of quota to ensure the white man's views are adequately represented on QT? 40% white male, 40% white female, 10% BAME male and 10% BAME female? Sounds like him and June Sarpong would get on pretty well. Of course, as per Llani Boy's point, we'd have to be careful to ensure we're not just parachuting in white men who aren't up to the job to make up the numbers.
    Geoff Clarke

I don't see how the QT thing is an example of discrimination
    That is precisely what I said
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    The BBC over the last couple of years has already parachuted presenters,reporters and pundits from minority groups [and I would add non-public school white people].
    I guess if they did not activly do that they would remain dominated by white public school men.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    from minority groups into roles that they are obviously not up to doing
    In your opinion.

That is precisely what I said
    Hmmm... "I'm not sure this is the best case in which you could identify the problem". Is that precisely saying you don't see it as an example of discrimination? Anyway, I think we're saying that not having a white man on an episode of QT isn't a case of discrimination against white men.

I'd be interested to hear more about the problem of discrimination that white men are facing, 'cause it seems to me like white men are doing pretty well for themselves generally.
    Geoff Clarke

Hmmm... "I'm not sure this is the best case in which you could identify the problem".
    you missed this.

I think overall if you look at QT, it perhaps has more balance in terms of the demographic you identify.

At a quick glance the previous 4 weeks of this series had 3/5, 2/5, 3/5 and 3/6.
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post

In your opinion.
    Thanks for allowing me an opinion
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I'd be interested to hear more about the problem of discrimination that white men are facing, 'cause it seems to me like white men are doing pretty well for themselves generally.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8794521.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-culture.html
    (I used the Mail purely as it was the first that didn't have a paywall.)

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/e...-a8676336.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/articl...quality-report

Should keep you occupied for a while
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

you missed this.

I think overall if you look at QT, it perhaps has more balance in terms of the demographic you identify.

At a quick glance the previous 4 weeks of this series had 3/5, 2/5, 3/5 and 3/6.
    Uh oh! You got me, I did miss that. Mea culpa.
    Geoff Clarke