Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Weights or callisthenics

A few people at kickboxing were in favour of this... but “experts” seem to think it’s not such a good idea as it can affect the mechanics of your movement and running... I’ve had no first-hand experience though...

I'm sure I read of one the former team GB ultra runners doing this. Ran 60mile weeks but was weighted.

I was around 16 stone when I started taking training seriously and I’m now hovering somewhere round 12 and a half, which I believe is somewhere around 20kg loss... so I personally don’t think a 5kg vest will do too much in the way of harm...

It also makes me laugh when people complain about having to carry kit wearing a couple of kg in a bumbag.
    Last edited by Travs; 19-10-2019 at 08:23 AM.

To answer the very original post on this thread... I think anything you can do to supplement your running will be of benefit... however my preference is for weights... although you have to be careful not to overdo it so you don’t hamper your running...
    Last edited by Travs; 19-10-2019 at 08:22 AM.

Used to walk with 10kg weighted vest. My running strength endurance would increase quite dramatically after a couple of walks. Pull ups and push ups also. Great bit of kit if you ask me!
    Check out some vids of Manny Pacquiao's abs routines for some really good exercises in improving core and all that.

Resurrecting this thread from the grave…

This series of articles basically confirms all my prejudices and biases about strength training for runners:

Part one: Injury Risk
    Part two: Principles of Resistance Training
    Part three: Programming Resistance Training for the Endurance Athlete

I don’t mean to claim that this is a slam-dunk vindication of my view that runners should be regularly picking up very heavy objects: Barbell Medicine have their own very obvious set of biases in this regard; but I do hope it’s thought-provoking and helpful in your training, folks.

Cheers just read those articles. I’m tempted to try and implement it but I wonder how to fit it in. Between running and climbing there’s not a lot of time for “extras”. Do I drop the weights sessions for climbing? Or try and combine them with leg weights?

I think actually coming up with a plan might help it’s all a bit scattergun squeeze it in when I can at the minute

Does weight lifting with pints of ale count? 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    Cheers just read those articles. I’m tempted to try and implement it but I wonder how to fit it in. Between running and climbing there’s not a lot of time for “extras”. Do I drop the weights sessions for climbing? Or try and combine them with leg weights?
    It is hard to squeeze it all in, especially when the nature of fell training typically means your runs are going to take more time than a six-mile blast round the houses!

I don’t think there’s a one-size-fits-all answer: obviously we all have our own routines and family lives-or-a-lack-of.

A couple of thoughts though:

1) Periodisation: I’m not qualified to tell anyone how to do an annual plan, but i think we all accept that we should be doing different things at different times of the year. Probably can’t hurt to dedicate 4-6 weeks to 'strength', at the expense of a bit of mileage, then to turn the miles back on and switch your strength work to maintainance mode.
    2) Efficiency: If you do buy that being stronger will make you more efficient and reduce your injury risk, then I can’t think of a more efficient way of getting strong than hossin’ around a barbell. I know so many runners who do yoga, pilates, or dead complicated bodyweight strength ’routines’… None of which are bad, stupid or wrong, but none of which are as efficient as lifting heavy weights. I can be in and out of the gym on my way to work in 25 minutes, 2-3x a week.
    3) Perfect is the enemy of good: As much as I like those BBM posts above, the author clearly loves weightlifting even more than I do, and has more free time. I’m currently on something like: Squats, Calf raises, Nordics; then Deadlifts, Calf raises, Nordics. It could be good to do more, but i also have a job and kids, so that’s enough for me, and i don’t get wiped out by the 'stress' of not sticking to my plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    Does weight lifting with pints of ale count? ��
    Pints: No; Yards: Yes.