Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Weights or callisthenics

Quote Originally Posted by skipchris View Post
    …opens eBay…
    I like to chop a big pile of logs, fantasizing about ex colleagues etc. In a murderous rather than amorous way I mean.

Wait a second... this isn’t a thread for run training! This is about weights, strength conditioning and apparently using big hammers/axes as therapy tools...

Having said that I’d never considered using a treadmill to power hike on.

Time for some rowing and then core work for me

Today I did KB session. Descending 10-1 each side: One hand swing, snatch, squat, row, clean and press, round the worlds and floor press. Minimal rest between sets. Total of 55 reps per exercise per side side with s 20kg KB. I try to do this weekly. Takes around 30 minutes. I'm normally in pool of sweat by the end.

Yesterday it was 2 hand Swings with 32kg KB and press ups. Descending from 10-1 and back up. Total of 100 reps per exercise. Followed by some upper body weights- bench press, rows, bicep curls etc.
    Some Pilates both mornings too. Not able to run atm so trying to keep busy.

Another fantastic tool/measure for level of conditioning is 100 burpees. And I mean real burpees with proper form and a press-up in each one... if unsure, look on YouTube.

Can do them in any format you want. Sets of 10, 20, 25, etc.

Incredibly hard to get through. I used to be able to blast through to about 50 then split the remaining into sets of 10 or even 5, with a short rest between.

Can’t remember my best time at it, but think it was 7 minutes something.

Probably not much use as a training tool, but a fantastic test of your level of upper body conditioning (and if I remember correctly, it tested the lower body somewhat too).

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Another fantastic tool/measure for level of conditioning is 100 burpees. And I mean real burpees with proper form and a press-up in each one... if unsure, look on YouTube.

Can do them in any format you want. Sets of 10, 20, 25, etc.

Incredibly hard to get through. I used to be able to blast through to about 50 then split the remaining into sets of 10 or even 5, with a short rest between.

Can’t remember my best time at it, but think it was 7 minutes something.

Probably not much use as a training tool, but a fantastic test of your level of upper body conditioning (and if I remember correctly, it tested the lower body somewhat too).
    We used to do a burpee challenge- in one minute. No press ups though. There's a guy on YouTube I follow Sean Vogue. He does a full 20 minute burpee workout with various types. I've never made it to the end.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yJblN72Wr2o This one?

TodayÂ’s efforts will be 15minute fingerboard, 5x5 weighted pulls, then some rows, followed by more pull-ups, followed by rows, followed by pull-ups.

IÂ’ve put on weight since a new baby came along 4months ago so need to stop drinking every night, limit my consumption of dairy milk and loose 3/4 of a stone

Quote Originally Posted by neilly View Post
    Today I did KB session. Descending 10-1 each side: One hand swing, snatch, squat, row, clean and press, round the worlds and floor press. Minimal rest between sets. Total of 55 reps per exercise per side side with s 20kg KB. I try to do this weekly. Takes around 30 minutes. I'm normally in pool of sweat by the end.

Yesterday it was 2 hand Swings with 32kg KB and press ups. Descending from 10-1 and back up. Total of 100 reps per exercise. Followed by some upper body weights- bench press, rows, bicep curls etc.
    Some Pilates both mornings too. Not able to run atm so trying to keep busy.
    What weight KB do you use? I’d be interested in trying it out.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post

TodayÂ’s efforts will be 15minute fingerboard, 5x5 weighted pulls, then some rows, followed by more pull-ups, followed by rows, followed by pull-ups.

IÂ’ve put on weight since a new baby came along 4months ago so need to stop drinking every night, limit my consumption of dairy milk and loose 3/4 of a stone
    Yes, that's the one. I do lots of Sean Vigue stuff. I got into Pilates because of his videos and am now an instructor.

What weight KB do you use? I’d be interested in trying it out.
    I've got a range of KB s.from 12kg up to 32. I rarely use the 12s now. I use the 16s for high reps, mainly cardio stuff. Things like 50:reps of swings, squats, C+P, snatch etc. I'm trying to build up to 100 snatches with 20kg in 5 mins. I use the 24s for swings and cleans. The 32s are mainly for swings and squats.

Bit of a tangent, but does anyone train with a weighted vest or similar?

Loads of my training is done on my commutes, where i’m carrying roughly 1.5kg of laptop and clothes. Obviously a poor substitute for a 5kg vest or similar, but I doubt it’s doing any harm either.