Thread: Dunnerdale

Dunnerdale

Don’t worry about lack-of-racing withdrawal symptoms once the relays are over tomorrow, there’s a little cracker of a race coming up in 2 weeks…

Dunnerdale Sat 2nd Nov 1pm
    Enter online only very limited entries on the day.

Everyone who’s done it loves it.
    If you’ve not done it, come and do it, you’ll love it too.
    If you’ve not been to this corner of the SW Lakes before, come and have a look (it’s bloody lovely).
    If you want free beer, come in a full car.

Same day as Fell Runners Do at Grange-over-Sands (40min drive away) so a perfect pre-dinner blast. If you've not already, book for both race and dinner here.

Parking in Broughton Mills is notoriously problematic and we want to stay friends with the locals, so:
    vehicles with only 1 or 2 people in have to pay £5 to park on the field (sorry)
    vehicles with 4 or more people in park for free and get a free bottle of beer each (woop!) - don’t expect to get a large minibus or coach down into Broughton Mills and don’t illegally pile 10 people in your campervan!
    (vehicles with 3 people in park for free but don’t get free beer)
    those arriving on foot or by bike (and doing the race) get a free £5 Pete Bland voucher (collect at registration, expect to be asked questions to prove it!)

Some suggested meet-up points to park and car share from:
    (please don’t all park in Broughton village, there's not much space and it would be mayhem) - please use common sense and park considerately

Coming from the east (M6/ Kendal)
    * Fell Foot at Newby Bridge (free parking for National Trust members), post code LA12 8NN, 30min away
    * Greenodd village, post code LA12 7RT, 25min away (not much space here)
    * Greyhound Inn car park at Grizebeck, grid ref SD 2383 8500, post code LA17 7XJ, 15min away (buy a pint before you leave to say thanks)
    * burger van parking area on A595/ Wreaks Causeway, on the right just before the turning into Broughton-in-Furness, grid ref SD 2225 8655, 10min away
    * If you’re going to the Do that night at the Netherwood Hotel in Grange-over-Sands, could park at the hotel and car share from there (hotel is 5min detour off the M6-to-Broughton Mills main A590 road)

From the north:
    * Ambleside/ Coniston/ Torver

From the south (Barrow):
    * Greyhound Inn car park at Grizebeck as above

From the west (Millom):
    * small layby at start of Duddon valley road/ Smithy Lane on left, grid ref SD 1994 8830, 10min away
    * couple of small lay-bys on A595 before the big hill up to Broughton, one on left by farm, one on right by beck, 10min away

Good spots to park and cycle/ jog from:
    * burger van parking area as above, 5km south of Broughton Mills
    * Hawk Bridge car park, 2km NE of Broughton Mills (reached from Broughton or Torver by narrow lanes, grid ref SD 2392 9193
    * couple of car parks on Broughton Moor high road (narrow lane parallel to main Broughton to Torver A593), 3km NE of Broughton Mills, grid ref SD 250 925 ish

Phew, think that’s it. I’ll shut up now! Thanks for understanding. Be great to see you all, Anna

CarshareMap.jpg
    Last edited by No safety pins; 24-10-2019 at 08:15 AM.

Just a reminder folks about the Dunnerdale fell race car sharing scheme. Hope you're looking forward to Saturday.

We're trying out a new scheme this year to reduce congestion in the tiny village of Broughton Mills, where the race starts. We have advertised this already via the race website (https://fellrace.org.uk/races/dunnerdale/), FRA and Fell Runners UK face book pages and the FRA online calendar and forum - we want to make sure all entrants know the score.

Car sharing:
    Signs will direct you to the top parking field, registration is about a 10 minute walk down the hill in Broughton Mills village hall.
    * Vehicles with 1 or 2 people will be charged £5 - please have cash ready
    * Vehicles with 4 or more people (including children) will receive a free beer per person - over 18s only
    * Vehicles with 3 people in - nothing happens
    Suggested car park & share spots are available on the race web site.

Arriving by bike/on foot:
    * Runners (runners only, not supporters/spectators) arriving on bikes should park their bikes along the wooden fence in the car park at the rear of the Blacksmiths Arms pub in Broughton Mills and see the race marshal there for their £5 Pete Bland voucher
    * Runners (runners only, not supporters/spectators) arriving on foot should also see the marshal in the Blacksmiths car park - and expect to be 'gently interrogated' about their journey!

Let's see how this pans out - thanks very much for your understanding. The village has expressed serious concerns about car parking issues for many years now and we're hoping these efforts will help the race continue for many more decades...

One last thing - please bring your own cup for a brew in the hall after the race to help reduce throwaway cups - thanks a lot.

Anna and all at Black Combe Runners

Dunnerdale results. Will be posted properly on race website soon. Massive thanks to everyone who helped out yesterday.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZQS...ew?usp=sharing

I'm grassing you up for thread duplication.

I totally missed this fiver to park thing; i requested to park on the lane as my car is RWD and deceptively heavy to push out of a muddy field. Fortunately nobody booted the wing in thinking that i'd planned it all along, which i hadn't, and the note i left on the windscreen didn't end up with 'knobhead' scrawled across it. I had no idea i ended up appearing to be such a tightarsed, wanker Porsche driver, and would like to firmly stress that i made a £1 donation to the village hall collection tin.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Some great Dunnerdale race pics now up on Flicker by Norman Berry.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/hhac/a...57711750263213