Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foot Problems

Foot Problems

Over the years I have had numerous and varied minor problems with my feet. Things like blisters getting infected, athletes foot, little sores and nicks around toe nails that took ages to heal properly despite washing my feet and shoes after runs.

People who run mostly off road are probably more prone to picking up infections due to the varied locations and sloppy things that they run through.

Around 9 months ago I visited a podiatrist who recommended using Nelsons natural tea tree cream. It comes in a 30ml tube and cost £6, which I thought a bit pricey at the time of purchase, but turns out to be one of the best value £6 I've ever spent.

The cream is so emollient that a tiny amount goes a long way. After 9 months of weekly use, and my feet being problem free, I have just run out.

I thoroughly recommend it as part of a runners foot hygiene.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I’d thoroughly recommend seeing a chiropodist if your feet are a bit of a mess...

I went every 8-10 weeks for a couple of years when I first started fellrunning, as my toenails/toes were a bit messed up from a previous sport.

The advice they give you, as well as the tidying of skin/blisters/nails, was well worth it if you can afford it, and feel you need it.

I no longer go as my feet/nails are in much better condition and I rarely get blisters now. But I certainly valued it at the time.

Top tip LB 👍🏼 I was out with an injury at the beginning of this year having poured a pan of boiling water on my foot and still need to take of the dodgy one

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Over the years I have had numerous and varied minor problems with my feet. Things like blisters getting infected, athletes foot, little sores and nicks around toe nails that took ages to heal properly despite washing my feet and shoes after runs.

People who run mostly off road are probably more prone to picking up infections due to the varied locations and sloppy things that they run through.

Around 9 months ago I visited a podiatrist who recommended using Nelsons natural tea tree cream. It comes in a 30ml tube and cost £6, which I thought a bit pricey at the time of purchase, but turns out to be one of the best value £6 I've ever spent.

The cream is so emollient that a tiny amount goes a long way. After 9 months of weekly use, and my feet being problem free, I have just run out.

I thoroughly recommend it as part of a runners foot hygiene.
    I note it has shea butter in it - one of the few ingredients that "Fixing Your Feet" recommends. I use a shea butter cream on my feet - also not cheap but a tube lasts for ages.

Master
    Never had foot problems thanks to Sudocrem Cheap as chips and worth its weight in gold IMO
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Never had foot problems thanks to Sudocrem Cheap as chips and worth its weight in gold IMO
    Mrs DTRs remedy of choice is Sudocrem, she puts it on everything, it’s the Germolene of the 21st century

Master

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    Mrs DTRs remedy of choice is Sudocrem, she puts it on everything, it’s the Germolene of the 21st century
    Yep it sure is an all purpose cream e.g. prevents chaffing, soothes sun burn, soothes midge and bug bites works as an antiseptic and a multitude of over uses tis a Ultra runners Prevent/cure all
    The older I get the Faster I was

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    +1 for sudocreme (you can't go wrong there) but a combination of tea tree and lavender also worked wonders on the fungal infections I've had.

The only think I put on my feet is SportSlick for lubrication and waterproofness for long wet races like Lakeland 100, LDWA 100s, UTMB, etc. It helps to slow the onset of trench foot and prevents blisters. Unless I'm going to work, shopping, running, etc I'm in bare feet all the time. First thing I do after a race is take shoes and socks off to begin the drying-off and recovery process then drive home in bare feet. As far as feet are concerned I'm a bit feral; my foot hygiene must be zero. I must be lucky in that I've never had any issues, apart from the usual verrucae when I was a schoolkid. Oh, and they don't smell either. Food for thought? Does 'going feral' prevent foot problems?

Quote Originally Posted by BritNick View Post
    The only think I put on my feet is SportSlick for lubrication and waterproofness for long wet races like Lakeland 100, LDWA 100s, UTMB, etc. It helps to slow the onset of trench foot and prevents blisters. Unless I'm going to work, shopping, running, etc I'm in bare feet all the time. First thing I do after a race is take shoes and socks off to begin the drying-off and recovery process then drive home in bare feet. As far as feet are concerned I'm a bit feral; my foot hygiene must be zero. I must be lucky in that I've never had any issues, apart from the usual verrucae when I was a schoolkid. Oh, and they don't smell either. Food for thought? Does 'going feral' prevent foot problems?
    I’m with you, feral as well and wouldn’t let anyone near my feet, I very seldom get blisters, occasionally an errant toenail will saw its way it another toe but generally only if I’m in fell shoes, mine don’t smell either