Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cross Country 2019-20

Cross Country 2019-20

Who’s in this year?

Birmingham League starts in two weeks. Can’t wait to knock out those 38min 10km and still not make the top 200.... hopefully Godiva can continue where we left off and maintain or improve our top 6 position. Personally I’d like to put some distance between myself and my regular rivals (some of which run for my own team...!!)

Plenty else going on too... Warwicks Champs, Midlands Champs, and of course the National at Wollaton in February.

Happy racing everyone...

Well the first league fixture at Malvern is on the rocks due to severe flooding.

Looks like B’ham XC are trying to rearrange it elsewhere at short notice... we wait with baited breath!

Country park not wanting their nice grass to cut up too much I heard.

I'll do a bit of local scene before Christmas, but only to build fitness. Yorkshires, Northerns and National in the new year as sharpeners in the run up to the fell season.

English Relays last weekend seemed muddy by all accounts.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Yes it seems that way... fixture relocated to Coventry.... they are running the B’ham league Div1, ladies Warks league, and B’ham league div 3 all on same day at same venue... should make a nice mess!

Local XC was pretty firm under foot yesterday. Good to get the taste of blood again, then head into Whitby for Fish & Chips to recover.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

I can't run them now. I refuse to pay my EA levy, so I'm limited to fell and road.

Quite why they let runners take part in some disciplines without paying the levy, but not in others is beyond me.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

First Birmingham League xc was moved from Malevern to Cov due to flooding. Birchfield were first by a mile and look pretty invincible this year. Godiva were 7th on the day.

Interesting to see that Loughborough Uni, perennial winners and home of the famous academy, appear to be on a slight decline last couple of years... “only” 5th last weekend.

Also interesting to see the gulf between Div1 and the other divisions... the only team I can see that have made a good fist of it in recent years after getting promoted, are Worcester AC.

Next one at Stoke in a few weeks.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Interesting to see that Loughborough Uni, perennial winners and home of the famous academy, appear to be on a slight decline last couple of years... “only” 5th last weekend.
    One of their blokes had disappeared off to Argentina for some World Mountain Running thingy. No sense of loyalty to his University club.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Bumper day of cross country in the Midlands yesterday... a few venue postponements led to several races being held at the same venue in farmland between Stoke and Crewe...

Ladies off first... Tipton and Nuneaton looking like they were vying for the win... not 100% sure though as I was warming up...

The men’s race was slightly novel, as it was combined with the division 3 race, so a double sized field, although obviously results only counting against your respective divisions...

Birmingham University took the win on the day, and look like the best team this year... they received a 200 point penalty from the first race, I don’t know what for, which will probably prevent them from having a fantastic final race shout-out with Birchfield for the honours.

Next up were Loughborough (2nd), Birchfield (3rd) and Cov (4th)in close contention.... we’ve moved up to 5th overall and set for a fantastic battle for 5th with our most local of rivals, University Of Warwick whom we share our track and training facilities with...!

Our b team was very strong today and were 3rd. I couldn’t even score in the b team today (13th finisher) despite a best ever league race placing.

As to my race I enjoyed the undulating course and generally good underfoot conditions. Had a bad spell on the 2nd lap, losing ground but not really any positions. 3rd lap was my fastest although again couldn’t pick up many places as left too much to do. 157th.

Our poor lad who did the Cardington Cracker last weekend had a very tough day. Really he should be giving me a run, if not beating me on the xc... but he fully admitted that the Cardington Cracker had “finished him off”... he was with me for the first couple of minutes, but as I pushed it up the first hill I went past him and never saw him again... by all accounts he fell apart and was over 6mins behind at the end... I hope it doesn’t get him too downbeat... he’s very new to fell and xc and the speed is there, it’s just a question of strength...

Well done GazB as always... just shy of top 100, and took three minutes out of me over 6 miles... great running again...
    Last edited by Travs; 08-12-2019 at 09:31 AM.

Also watched the European Champs from Lisbon yesterday lunchtime.

Great performances from Britain to take team gold in the mens and ladies, along with the Mixed Relay, and a couple of junior events.

Although the course had a few hills on it, it wasn't very tough underfoot... it wasn't even as muddy as our league race on saturday, which was itself notable for a lack of mud.

Now we are undisputed champions of Europe we should get them over here on Corniceman's course up at Woollaton Park... that would put hairs on their chests...