Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Cross Country 2019-20

I noticed the name Peter Vale in the results of the Midlands counties.... anybody know if it’s THE Pete Vale of fellrunning fame....? Appeared for Bromsgrove&Redditch AC which would certainly be a Mercia Fellrunners area...

Final League fixture tomorrow on a superb course at Leamington Spa.... sadly I shall only be spectating. Then onto the Nationals.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I noticed the name Peter Vale in the results of the Midlands counties.... anybody know if it’s THE Pete Vale of fellrunning fame....? Appeared for Bromsgrove&Redditch AC which would certainly be a Mercia Fellrunners area...
    He used to run a lot of the same training routes as me as he appeared on quite a few Strava segments we'd both run over. Seemed to be based around Alvechurch so BRAC would be a good fit. No recent public activity on Strava so pure conjecture I'm afraid!

Final league fixture today at Leamington. I remembered this course from the Mids champs last year and it’s a cracker... probably my fave XC course I’ve done.... so a shame to be sitting this one out... one or two hills which caught a few people out, I spotted people who would finish well ahead of me having to walk the biggest hill today.

Omar Ahmed from Birchfield a clear winner, again, by about 20 seconds. Would love to see what he can do at the Nationals... whether he’s strong enough to win I’m not sure, but he must be the best hope to come from the Midlands.

Birchfield clear and deserved winners of the league this year. Birmingham Uni had a bit of a mare today and Loughborough Uni took advantage to take silver for the season.

We had a reasonable day today, 5th on the day, but not enough to move us into the top 6 for the season, and we were narrowly edged out to take 7th. I think it’s a testament to the strength of the league that we can finish above teams as strong as City Of Stoke and Cheltenham & County, yet still only be 7th.

Hi to GazB with an excellent run today, comfortably inside the top 100, and Wolves&Bilston 13th for the season (of which you can take great credit for regularly scoring...... something I certainly can’t do!).

Commiserations to Bournville, Halesowen and Cannock&Stafford dropping out of the top flight.... not exactly unexpected though... it looks to be incredibly tough to get into Div1 and then stay there.

Nationals next in a fortnight, and I’m sure Corniceman and the Notts AC boys have a gruesome course prepared for our enjoyment!

Cheers Travs. 1st time in over 2 years back in the top 100. Enjoyed the course. We actually gained a new hill compared to the Midlands as the laps were bigger. Some tasty descents too, which helped me.

The latest info on the ECCA Facebook page is that the underfoot conditions on Saturday are going to be horrendous...

Though it’s the nationals... you don’t need a weatherman to tell you when it’s p***ing down...!

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Those driving to Wollaton Park from the South (that includes Coventry) may like to allow extra time for the journey: https://www.itv.com/news/central/202...d-of-the-year/
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

I think the Clifton Bridge is on the ring-Road part of the A52 so anyone coming into Nottingham off the M1 wouldn’t have to go that far.... but yes it could cause additional congestion...

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I think the Clifton Bridge is on the ring-Road part of the A52 so anyone coming into Nottingham off the M1 wouldn’t have to go that far.... but yes it could cause additional congestion...
    I would consider the obvious route to Wollaton Park from the south is to come off the M1 at Jn24, up the A453 and across Clifton Bridge. The alternative route via the A52 from Jn25 isn't much further, but as you say, it is likely to be congested with people avoiding Clifton Bridge.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

I've always gone straight up to A52 junction, quicker road and never had issues yet. 50mins from Cov maximum.

Usually park in the streets surrounding the park, but this year the police are "clamping" down on this and putting in restrictions, and trying to force everyone to pay £7 for official parking (which the ECCA have then admitted may not be able to cope in poor weather!).

This, coupled with the course map only being available if you buy a programme, all seems a bit like profiteering to me. I'll still be road parking, but perhaps a few streets further away than normal.
    Last edited by Travs; 20-02-2020 at 08:57 AM.