Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cross Country 2019-20

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Also watched the European Champs from Lisbon yesterday lunchtime.

Great performances from Britain to take team gold in the mens and ladies, along with the Mixed Relay, and a couple of junior events.

Although the course had a few hills on it, it wasn't very tough underfoot... it wasn't even as muddy as our league race on saturday, which was itself notable for a lack of mud.

Now we are undisputed champions of Europe we should get them over here on Corniceman's course up at Woollaton Park... that would put hairs on their chests...
    I am sure that come February that Wollaston will be oozing in thick black mud,just in time for the national championships.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    . . . Corniceman's course up at Woollaton Park...
    Quote Originally Posted by Corniceman View Post
    I am sure that come February that Wollaston will . . .
    I hear that Wollaton Park is also the venue for the next national spelling championships.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Good luck to everyone competing in their respective county champs this weekend...

Warwickshire for me, at the great Warley Woods course in Smethwick... (interestingly, Warwickshire County for athletics purposes is the “old” county of Warwickshire, including Coventry and a large section of a Greater Birmingham).

A bit of a clash and choices to be made on Saturday 14th March. The roads to North Wales are going to be busy as the British Masters Cross Country Champs are taking place in Corwen and the first race of the British Fell Running Champs, Yr Aran, is just down the road near Bala.

Decisions, decisions.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    A bit of a clash and choices to be made on Saturday 14th March. The roads to North Wales are going to be busy as the British Masters Cross Country Champs are taking place in Corwen and the first race of the British Fell Running Champs, Yr Aran, is just down the road near Bala.

Decisions, decisions.
    Interesting.... Aran for me, however I wonder if any clubmates are heading to Corwen and want to make a club day out with both events...

Betley again for me Travs for the Staffs, after Stafford Common withdrew

Quote Originally Posted by gazb View Post
    Betley again for me Travs for the Staffs, after Stafford Common withdrew
    Good luck Gaz.... enjoyed Betley last month...

We are also on a replacement course at Warley.... the original venue, Droitwich, was ruled out weeks ago.

I'm off to Shipley Park tomorrow for Derbyshire/Notts XC Champs. Usually a mudbath there and that is before you get on the course!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire

We are also on a replacement course at Warley.... the original venue, Droitwich, was ruled out weeks ago.
    Grass is still lovely and green and relatively dry at the moment. The paths through the woods are starting to get muddy though I guess it will be still pretty quick.

A good day at Warley Woods for the Warks (and Worcs) champs, on a very dry course (as PeteS mentioned above).

I felt fairly strong, but definitely lacking an extra gear (perhaps not a surprise as was my 4th race in 10 days), and I dropped 7 or 8 places in the final 400metres or so. To my dismay when looking at the results, about 4 or 5 of those were direct competitors in the Warks Masters.

90th Warwickshire (45th master) in 36:34, although it was well short of 10km, I couldn’t do that time on a 10km flat road race, never mind a hilly and grassy cross-country.

A good day for Godiva overall... picked up individual golds in both the under 17’s and under 20’s.... silver team medal in the seniors, despite our best three runners from the league fixtures all missing (Birchfield won it). We were 9th masters team, with myself 3rd counter of four. We seem to suffer a little in the masters competitions which are v35... i’m the only one under the age of 45, and I’m no great shakes myself... some of the other clubs are loaded with “young” masters in their late 30’s... but our masters were still 3rd club from the city, behind our seniors and Massey seniors.

Onto the league next weekend, and I’m going to have to run considerably stronger than I did today.

Gaz B your old club Massey Ferguson had a great day, taking bronze in the senior men.
    Last edited by Travs; 04-01-2020 at 06:24 PM.