Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keep Off. Thats My Mountain!

Keep Off. Thats My Mountain!

Just over 15 yrs ago I was fortunate enough to bag Uluru and the recent ban by the Australian government on people climbing it got me thinking.

If there was one hill/mountain I could ban people from and have for my sole use which would it be.

Cadair Idris would be my choice as it has a bit of everything.

Which hill/mountain would you choose and why?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Cadair is a good choicebut I'd plump for Blencathra for much the same reasons. It has a bit of everything and is of course stunningly beautiful as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Cadair is a good choicebut I'd plump for Blencathra for much the same reasons. It has a bit of everything and is of course stunningly beautiful as well.
    Is the Earl of Lonsdale not still trying to get shot of it? Put a cheeky bid in

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Let's start by saying that if I owned a mountain, I wouldn't ban people from it; indeed, I would want to share it with other people.

He said "All this land is my master's"
    At that I stood shaking my head
    No man has the right to own mountains
    Any more than the deep ocean bed.

Ewan MacColl

Having got that off my chest, the hills that I would love to share with people are the Lomond Hills (there are two of them but together they occupy an area no bigger than Cadair Idris). Not only do they themselves present a magnificent spectacle, especially from the north where they rise abruptly from the Howe of Fife; but the view from the top is unsurpassed: mountains and hills, from the Cairngorms to the Moorfoots, lowland countryside, cities and towns, and a long stretch of coastline. And I have happy memories of long runs over them.
    Last edited by anthonykay; 03-11-2019 at 08:23 PM.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Snowdon

Ridiculous concept why would you want to ban anybody from a mountain? However I would certainly be in favour of making it less accessible, to control the numbers. So make sure there is at least a five mile walk in

Master
    Im with Anthonykay on this one if I owned a mountain I would welcome folk to it because one of the big pleasures I get from being in the hills is the interesting and inspirational people that I get to meet and learn from.

And FWIW my wife and I spent some time in Australia in 1999/2000 and we turned down the opputunity to walk up uluru after listening to the reasons why the aboriginis would prefer us not to but we greatly enjoyed a guided walk around the rock learning about it.

However Kings Canyon and the Blue mountains had a lot more going for them than Uluru and the turn of the millenium on Sydney Harbour was something else.
    Last edited by JohnK; 03-11-2019 at 09:24 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Any of the Paps of Jura...that still leaves two left over for everyone else!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    Is the Earl of Lonsdale not still trying to get shot of it? Put a cheeky bid in
    Tempting...….

I think I'd also like Beinn Mhor and/or Hecla on South Uist. Didn't meet another soul when we were up there so banning other people shouldn't be too much of a problem!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Snowdon might force the tens of thousands of people who walk up it every weekend to try one of the other mountains in Snowdonia.