Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sack the royal family

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post

Trouble is most of the voters were not born when corbyns mates last paralysed Britain and industry.

Even on here the starry eyed corbynistas need to get a grip.
    I should sell them get rich quick schemes, they are clearly gullible enough to accept unicorn promises.
    The General sending one into battle or the Chief Executive influencing whether or not one will have a job next year & etc, may not actually be the smartest guy in the room but it helps with moral if the top team can at least pretend that he or she is. Which brings us to Corbyn...
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Banned
    If you mean state businesses are so badly conceived, inefficient , overpaid, underworked and badly run it is almost impossible to save them, you have a point. Start from scratch is better.

But as for the pension schemes you are hopelessly wrong, Blair and brown destroyed them with monetary policy killing return, and otherwise super taxing them, making the schemes ( and most public sector schemes) non viable.

All companies can ever do and should do is guarantee what they put in, which they do. Politicians control what comes out by rate of return in the economy, and it was disgraceful when labour destroyed so many companies making companies fill in the gap that labour created. It is why most ex nationalised industries are basket cases, eg telecom, and why private companies easily charge far less than such as British Gas. The liability of an excessive pension scheme in which a company is forced to make up for politicians crap decisions.

A tale of two businesses for corbynistas.

First the nationalised basket case. Ordnance survey. No entrepreneurial flair, not only charged the taxpayer for making maps, still charges for wanting a copy of one, even though I as a taxpayer own the maps they created. If we asked it to create street view , like all public projects it would demand 10 billion, deliver five years late if at all, twice overbudget and charge a fortune.

Then the private sector :google. As one ( of many services we all use every day) it did it for FREE , in many countries , offers maps, street view , GPS , 3D, etc, and charged neither to create it or update it or provide it. It tells you where the nearest petrol, cafe, etc are. It only took a couple of years and entrepreneurial flair.

Google like amazon are a massive asset that have revolutionised ( the sensible end) of small businesses , in the services they provide.

All f!c!wit corbynistas see is billionaires and something to tax, when what they provide Freeis worth billions to the UK.

If ordnance survey had entrepreneurs, they would have done what google did.

Instead, OS sells expensive increasingly redundant maps.

Google changed the world.

Corbyn hates Google and wants to create more useless nationalised companies,

And the sad thing is too many seemingly intelligent, gullible fools thing he is headed in the right direction.

I despair of the grudge of corbynistas against the miracle workers of health - ie big pharma. The only reason there are no new antibiotics is it is not cost eff3ctive to develop them. Developing drugs is hideously expensive and risky, and has too short a patent life. The failure rate is massive.
    Corbyns answer? Steal them.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    The private company playbook when taking over a nationalised industry.

1. Quote a stupidly low price for the franchise such that the government are guaranteed to give you the contract

2. Re-employ all the old staff but on brand spanking new contracts that either pay less or require longer or more flexible working hours

3. Raid the pension fund by not contributing to it and building up a funding deficit. Close that scheme to future membership and plonk everyone into a cheaper alternative (that provides a lowers pension)

4. Cut business costs at every opportunity as it’s only by making massive cost savings that you have any chance of making any money

5. Less people doing the work usually works

6. Desperately raise the prices of the service that you are offering

7. Realise that your business model is going to hell in a hand basket and get a hand out from the government to stop you going under

��
    Last edited by Oracle; 25-11-2019 at 09:02 PM.

Point of information -
    Google now charge for maps embedded in websites. An interesting business model; they hold your credit card details and monitor how many hits they receive via your website. If you exceed your monthly quota, you get charged. You have no control over the number of hits, or proof of how many there were in the charging period.
    Licence to print money?
    Going downhill fast - until I fell over

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FellJunior View Post
    Point of information -
    Google now charge for maps embedded in websites. An interesting business model; they hold your credit card details and monitor how many hits they receive via your website. If you exceed your monthly quota, you get charged. You have no control over the number of hits, or proof of how many there were in the charging period.
    Licence to print money?
    Only for very high volume use. I forget the numbers but tens of thousands of impressions needed to go past the free quota. Impression limits are possible I believe.

Use of such as adwords also needs a lot of care to avoid being fleeced.
    Again, impression and cost limits built in.

Gooogle are entitled to charge commercial customers!
    Last edited by Oracle; 26-11-2019 at 01:26 AM.

Only for very high volume use. I forget the numbers but tens of thousands of impressions needed to go past the free quota. Impression limits are possible I believe.

Er, sorry but surely in this day and age, everyone must realise that any google products are not free. You may not pay with cash but anyone using google stuff is paying with massive amounts of their personal data.

Do you have a price for your personal data?
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PiesAreGood View Post
    Er, sorry but surely in this day and age, everyone must realise that any google products are not free. You may not pay with cash but anyone using google stuff is paying with massive amounts of their personal data.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    I use these https://duckduckgo.com/spread

Not perfect but safer than google, I also use Linux as my OS
    The older I get the Faster I was

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PiesAreGood View Post
    So you dont use any google products? Google docs, mail, maps, etc It puts you in a minority.
    Most are on facebook that harvest personal data in far more insidious ways.
    And it is easy to create accounts that mask your identity using them.

I have multiple accounts on both platforms and on occasion use proxy servers to see the unpersonalized versions.

Its true that even on corporate level such as google analytics is free but gives google an insight into your website. But the alternatives are very expensive.

You pay your money, take your choice.

What I said was also true - google and amazon have made a sea change in the access of small
    and even big business to the web. What they provide for free or cheap is worth many billions
    to the economy. And that nationalized industries would not replace any of it effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Google does.

So you dont use any google products? Google docs, mail, maps, etc It puts you in a minority.
    Most are on facebook that harvest personal data in far more insidious ways.
    And it is easy to create accounts that mask your identity using them.
    <snip>
    I am not saying that using Google etc is wrong. I was just pointing out that there is no such thing as a free-lunch. If you are not paying for a service provided by a company with money, you are paying for it with something else. It behoves us to recognise that and decide individually if we are comfortable with it.

Personally I am not, we live in an increasingly surveilled/monitored society and I wouldn't want us to blindly walk into a 1984esq "big brother" style situation.

<takes off tinfoil hat>

My company forces me to use Google mail and docs at work because that is what they use. In my private life however I use the perfectly good alternatives available, as JohnK mentioned, wherever I can.

For search: Duckduckgo or startpage

Maps: maps.me or openstreetmap based solutions.

Email: I pay circa 20 pounds a year for an email service. Personally I think it is worth it for the privacy and customer service.