Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parking sensors

Banned

Parking sensors

So, most of you don't use sat nav,

But do you use parking sensors???

Only because I cant turn the bl@@dy things off!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Only because I cant turn the bl@@dy things off!
    I do, very useful. But you can become reliant on them. Then it feels odd when I drive my wife’s car which doesn’t have them.

I find mine scare me into stopping too early, I had a Merc hire car this week, now that had a reversing camera that had a better picture than my telly, that was useful

Master
    No they didn`t fit them 30 odd years ago so I still use pure technique and skill
    The older I get the Faster I was

Banned
    Camera and sensors are brilliant.

I once bought a car from a guy called chalky who worked at the local big top. The car had balloons on the back, which was a big help when reversing as you could hear them pop when slowly edging up to other vehicles. Although I think this could be utilised for other cars, that model never reached the popularity it deserved as the wheels kept falling off.

How do you tell the difference between you are 20cm away (still loads of room) and you are 3 cm away and really have to stop reversing NOW?

When my car went in for a recall I had a top of the range Nissan Qashqai as a replacement for a few weeks... lovely car (except for such a crap engine for such a large car) and had all the technical gizmos...

Had parking sensors and camera, and on the tv screen it had a 'box' which showed where you would end up in the parking space if you continue to reverse... couldn't get on with it, still found myself using the mirrors and rear window... couldn't bring myself to blindly reverse and trust the technology...

Also had lane sensors, which drove me up the flaming wall on a trip round the narrow roads of mid Wales.

On a slightly related note my boss at my old company had lane sensors with lane-assist... every night he would try to merge on to the M6 at Spaghetti Junction in the rush hour, and the car would go over the broken lines and the lane-assist would kick in and would start trying to pull the car to the left, as if to get back 'into lane'... pretty dangerous, and I'm fairly sure on that particular car you couldn't turn it off!

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    How do you tell the difference between you are 20cm away (still loads of room) and you are 3 cm away and really have to stop reversing NOW?
    I have a Mazda 6. It has a rear view camera and beeps as you near a solid object. The closer you get the more urgent is the beeping. When you are very close the car emits a continuous beep so at that point you stop.