Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: life without television

life without television

We have had no television at home since Aug 2013.
    Our child is now 10.

Is it just us without TV?

I don't have "a TV", but it's not really the same now we can watch TV and films on the laptop. I still think it's better as we don't just turn the TV on to see what's on.

I have one, but as soon as my yearly licence runs out I'm getting rid... all I watch is Dad's Army, Porridge, Only Fools, etc, and you can get them all online, along with practically any football match you want...

I thought this made me a bit of a 'wierdo' but it appears I'm not the only one. My ex also didn't have a tv and she felt that was pretty normal...

They still show Only Fools and Horses?
    I loved that, from the time I lived in England.
    I keep telling my wife my next present gas got to be their full DVD collection.
    Weird enough for someone without TV but so it is.
    Btw, here in Germany every residential address must pay a TV-licence, whether you have a TV or not. Pay half if you are blind. No joke...

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    We looked into this as we rarely watch live TV - usually record or watch catch up. However you still need a licence to watch or record any TV that is broadcast live (or on a +1 channel) and also for BBC iplayer so no real benefit for us to ditch the TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambatte View Post
    They still show Only Fools and Horses?
    I loved that, from the time I lived in England.
    I keep telling my wife my next present gas got to be their full DVD collection.
    Weird enough for someone without TV but so it is.
    Btw, here in Germany every residential address must pay a TV-licence, whether you have a TV or not. Pay half if you are blind. No joke...
    Auf Wiedersehen Pet (series 1) would probably be right up your street if you're in Germany! Series 2 was also very good. But then, like most things, tailed off.... series 3 wasn't quite as good and series 4 was fairly poor in my opinion.

Series 1 probably the best thing that's ever been on TV...

The problem I see with the slow demise of the BBC / TV in general is the loss of quality documentaries e.g anything by David Attenborough. Perhaps a licence scheme like Germany would work here.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Quote Originally Posted by bigfella View Post
    The problem I see with the slow demise of the BBC / TV in general is the loss of quality documentaries e.g anything by David Attenborough. Perhaps a licence scheme like Germany would work here.
    I licence scheme "like Germany" for sure does not work here in Germany, at least.
    You are forced to pay regardless you have a TV or not.
    Knowing they get your money no matter how bad the do, they have no incentive to run a decent service. The quality of state TV here in Germany is incredibly poor. If you have more than a gram of brain you can't, don't want to, watch state TV in Germany.
    I watched it for 2 weeks years ago. Enough.

The BBC is till capable of producing gems. But is a public broadcasting service valid now? If I watch terrestrial TV I rarely watch anything other than BBC. ITV is execrable. I pick and choose odd programmes of Dave and Quest. Shed and Buried/Junk and Disorderly are guilty pleasures!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Shed and Buried/Junk and Disorderly are guilty pleasures!
    Judge Judy for me
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell