Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: life without television

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with watching tv and ‘no tv’ evangelists always get this wrong. Tip from the top: it’s watching crap on tv that you need to avoid 😉

There have been so many brilliant shows and without even trying I can think of some right bobby dazzlers in the recent past:

The Detectorists
    Fleabag
    Gari/Haji
    Would I lie to you
    Pretty much all of the Walter Presents European crime dramas on channel 4
    No Offence
    Succession
    Line of Duty
    Fargo
    Killing Eve
    Stranger things (although it lost the plot in the last series)
    Chernobyl
    Borgen
    The Bridge

And the list could go on and on and on... no crap included.

And then there’s films too and Netflix in particular is stunning for films

So watch tv but don’t watch crap on tv

Quite so Stolly. Can I add Peaky Blinders to your list? Ignored it for years but then watched episode 1 on iplayer a couple of months back and have had to binge watch to get up the end of season 5! Epic. Amazed the BBC made it. Mary Whitehouse would explode!!😂😂

The Detectorists, quiet rightly top of the list Stolly, dare I say... a beautiful programme, amazing cast, wonderful theme tune, by far the best thing that’s been on TV in years, followed closely by This Country again a genius programme.

Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    The Detectorists, quiet rightly top of the list Stolly, dare I say... a beautiful programme, amazing cast, wonderful theme tune, by far the best thing that’s been on TV in years, followed closely by This Country again a genius programme.
    I have just remembered and am now laughing about Sheilas lemonade, I think I’m going to have to rewatch the series from the start

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I have just remembered and am now laughing about Sheilas lemonade, I think I’m going to have to rewatch the series from the start
    I can't see anything to do with Strictly without thinking of Terry and Sheila doing the lindy hop!

An excellent series - shame they're won't be any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Quite so Stolly. Can I add Peaky Blinders to your list? Ignored it for years but then watched episode 1 on iplayer a couple of months back and have had to binge watch to get up the end of season 5! Epic. Amazed the BBC made it. Mary Whitehouse would explode!!😂😂
    Great choice Wheeze. And on that note, if we get in, keep a look out for team ‘High Peaky Blinders’ next March at the High Peak Marathon 👍

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I'd pretty much agree with Stolly and also add Peaky Blinders but as I'm 90% Brummie that's somewhat understandable.

The BBC also do some great documentary, factual and science programmes. I'll practically watch anything with Alice Roberts in but that's another story.....

Guilty pleasure is Quest. Salvage hunters and Car SOS a must.

Agreed. We’ve watched all three series three times now. A lovely lovely series

We live in an age of truly great writers. Stephen Knight and Phoebe Waller Bridge would go toe to toe with Dickens and Bronte in any competition. We are fortunate to live in the time of their pomp.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

On the flip side, Phoebe Waller Bridge does nothing for me, Fleabag absolutely nothing and I did try (twice) and as for Killing Eve, a horrendous crass programme , but each to their own, we can’t all like what everybody else likes