Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Life of Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    You are confusing two things.
    The historic backdrop to ( say) downton abbey is authentic, as are some of the institutions it names. But The story itself is pure fiction.

Ditto da Vinci Code. Even though Opus Dei is real.

Why people focus on fiction surprises me. The truth is far more bizarre, and interesting.
    I am not confused at all. You misinterpret.

(And I care nothing about the da Vinci code only knowing it to be a silly, badly written book and an equally pointless film).
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    I am not confused at all. You misinterpret.

(And I care nothing about the da Vinci code only knowing it to be a silly, badly written book and an equally pointless film).
    I was somewhat obliged to assume a meaning from a two word organisation name , to which you added a question mark, which was therefore reasonably assumed as attempt to question what I had said, so I responded.

So what then was the two word organisation name actually questioning, do tell! That is brief even by your standards.
    Last edited by Oracle; 06-12-2019 at 03:56 PM.

Your conviction.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Your conviction.
    I am trying to think of a way to express "no idea what you are on about" using only two words to engage in your new found 2 word conversation style. I can only think of a one word answer. In the immortal words of Manuel out of fawlty towers.

"Keh?"

Otherwise I Don't think Ive been convicted of anything. Other than being got by that ruddy speed trap just south of the howgills. If that's what you meant, I plead guilty.
    Last edited by Oracle; 06-12-2019 at 04:36 PM.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Travs, I'd love to contribute to Today's Training but do so little, compared to your efforts, that I am sure no one would be interested!
    At 61 I'm happy enough just to be able to go out for a run rather than do any specific training, which is why the trees are safe from being pulled up by me!
    I would also contribute to the training thread but having only covered 3602.5 km with 74141m of ascent recorded so far this year, all outdoors, off road in all weathers with not a gym,tready or stepper in sight and all just for fun. then like Llani Boy I figured nobody would be interested.

The trees are safe with me as well
    The older I get the Faster I was

Now don't tease me with stories of training! I'm happy just to be able to tock along on the flat at 8.30 mile pace knowing that I'll have to throttle back for any steep gradient. Ho hum.
    I'm glad the life of Brian suggestion has provoked discussion. After all that's why they made it...and pointedly illustrated the 'Jesus' phenomenon running alongside a bloke with a pointedly apolitical name getting innocently caught up in the cult of cultism. Oooh. An ism. Beware!!

physio chemical dating tests
    I can't resist: do tell...what are these?
    How do they differ from "unproven" AMS dating?
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Mole View Post
    I can't resist: do tell...what are these?
    How do they differ from "unproven" AMS dating?
    Not really on topic but: if you are interested:

AMS is a method of radio dating, at the time was oxfords new toy, but unproven method compared to RC methods used by eg massively more experienced Harwell labs who were shut out by professor halls, even out of giving advice. Academic rivalry damages science again.

Several tests put it much earlier around first century. Mechanical fibre strength elasticity degradation , Optochemical, and chemical decomposition rates. All with proper controls and error bars. Good summary in Fantis book.

Others : many point Madrid forensic lab correspondence with the sudarium made it beyond reasonable doubt that it was at least 7 centuries older, and more.

Lots of other evidence eg Hungarian codex, sightings in Constantinople disputed the RC date.

A complete screw up by the RC daters. Anyone who knew shroud history knew it was wrong, the daters didn’t stop to ask why. They ignored many red flags.

Whatever it is, is not an artwork. Mark chemistry shows that.
    Last edited by Oracle; 09-12-2019 at 09:01 PM.

that's hilarious. Really the most hilarious thing you've "contributed" to this forum.
    Here's another question.
    Where did Fantis get his fibre samples from?
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Mole View Post
    that's hilarious. Really the most hilarious thing you've "contributed" to this forum.
    Here's another question.
    Where did Fantis get his fibre samples from?
    And that’s the problem Dave.
    You would rather not believe it, so you choose to contest it before even look at it.
    Meanwhile, the source of fibres and controls are clearly identified in the papers and books.

I knew it wasn’t worth wasting time treating yours as a genuine question.
    Last edited by Oracle; 09-12-2019 at 09:20 PM.