Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Life of Brian

I can't wait for my girls to watch it. A few more years to wait...

Banned
    I thought this thread was in down the pub section.
    In our pub everything and I mean everything gets discussed.

So can the people who want a specific tread please search other sections.

If you want a bit of banter and can have it without abusing others please remain and take part.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Whatever your political viewpoint, it’s a bit sad when certain people only log in to talk about politics.... are there no political forums you could all bugger off to?
    Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    This forum is ridiculous, does every thread have to be politicised it’s getting boring...
    Well that escalated quickly and yes, it is just getting ridiculous.
    For the good of the forum and if it has any hope of longer term survival, this has to stop.
    Discuss politics within fell running if you must, but this is the FRA forum and should be inclusive of all who wish to discuss anything to do with fell running. Have a bit of banter 'down the pub' if you like but please let's not deter the many, many runners who just want to post about running on the hills.

Anyway......back on thread. I thought it was a clever construct on 2 levels. There were some outstandingly funny parts but it was a brilliant essay on human nature and frailty as well as a pithy view on how we create cults to fill fundamental needs to "follow" in our psyche. The "follow the sandal....No! Follow the gourd " skit works on explaining how religious beliefs emerge and diverge as well as illuminating the current social media phenomenon. It is a work that has gained power over time.

Pete, oracle is a one dimensional amateur compared to antics of john the Baptist/ Carlos the jackal. The forum has always been rambunctious when down the pub. Mindyou, it would be nice to hear a different tune!

Banned
    Ha ha ha nice touch wheeze

Banned
    I could turn that on it’s head to say : it is indeed an essay in human frailty of those seeking to misrepresent religion as a straw man attempt to dismiss it because it challenges their rigid apriori world view. There are none so fanatical about their faith than atheists.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Anyway......back on thread. I thought it was a clever construct on 2 levels. There were some outstandingly funny parts but it was a brilliant essay on human nature and frailty as well as a pithy view on how we create cults to fill fundamental needs to "follow" in our psyche. The "follow the sandal....No! Follow the gourd " skit works on explaining how religious beliefs emerge and diverge as well as illuminating the current social media phenomenon. It is a work that has gained power over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    That’s not an argument,that’s contradiction.
    Ha nice are you running at present Oracle I think the last time we discussed it you were struggling?

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    I thought this thread was in down the pub section.
    In our pub everything and I mean everything gets discussed.

So can the people who want a specific tread please search other sections.

If you want a bit of banter and can have it without abusing others please remain and take part.
    Aah I understand now...

So we are 'in the pub' and anyone can say whatever they like (as long as you agree with their political viewpoint)

But if somebody calls someone a 'twat' (hardly the worst insult in the world, and I don't know what pubs are like round your way, but not exactly uncommon to be heard in some pubs), that isn't on and we should all start crying into our computer screens...

I never suggested people should be prevented from saying whatever they want... just that it's a bit sad to join a fellrunning forum and then only log on to argue about politics... surely people have developed their political views over many years, and some petty squabbling on a completely unrelated forum is hardly going to change someone's views, no matter how often you try and bang on about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    I didn’t defend either viewpoint. For or against what you can take the p!ss out of.
    I attacked the hypocrisy that allows a distinction to be made.
    I agree there's a hypocrisy and the Charlie Hebdo issue shows the challenges faced when trying to satirise or mock a religion other than Christianity.

It seems Christianity is fair game. I still enjoy watching old reruns of Dave Allen and that right to mock, joke, satirise, criticise has to be available and not limited.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell