Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which is the boggiest fell race?

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    The Bog Monster between Cut gate and Outer Edge on the HPM and grin an bear it routes is fabulous fun when completly sodden or completly dry as it turns into a trampoline. Alas difficult to get permission to race across it now, as with many boggy areas being sensitive
    Haha just reading this comment... i was up to my armpits in there a few weeks back!

Boggiest conditions I've ever met was on the Fellsman route. Crossing Fleet moss I went in up to my armpits and thought I was going to have to swim out, but luckily someone had walking poles and pulled me out. Further on coming off Great Whernside going down to Capplestone gate was also memorable, and this was in the dark having been on the go for 16 hrs. Finished with either trench foot or mild frost bite. Feet hurt for 3 weeks afterwards.

Well, there's bog and there's mud.
    Many of the above races IMHO can be muddy (such as Marl Pits XC), but the worst bog I've come across is on Martcrag Moor on the Langdale Horseshoe race. Every year there is someone who 'goes in' up to their waist and needs to be pulled out.
    I'm surprised there aren't more photographers at that point just waiting for the bogs' next victim :-)
    See the light in the night

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    Well, there's bog and there's mud.
    Many of the above races IMHO can be muddy (such as Marl Pits XC), but the worst bog I've come across is on Martcrag Moor on the Langdale Horseshoe race. Every year there is someone who 'goes in' up to their waist and needs to be pulled out.
    I'm surprised there aren't more photographers at that point just waiting for the bogs' next victim :-)
    Yep that Quagmire is areal contender for the bogiest
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Any one do Chew Valley skyline back in the day? That looked a potential bog-fest!
    Once, but it was pretty much frozen over.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Never really associated the Lakes with nasty boggy areas... yes Martcrag is probably the worst i can recall on a race.

A race that went over The Nab would put the cat amongst the pigeons! Or possibly High Tove/Ullscarf...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Never really associated the Lakes with nasty boggy areas... yes Martcrag is probably the worst i can recall on a race.

A race that went over The Nab would put the cat amongst the pigeons! Or possibly High Tove/Ullscarf...
    Martcrag Moor is the worst bog I know - there is a section of the Wansfell Ridge that catches people out, though it's knee deep rather than waist deep. And I have seen people needing help to extract themselves going up the Whernside 3Ps race route.