Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Faroese Mountain Marathon

Faroese Mountain Marathon

Hi, Has anyone done this or know much about it? I'm thinking of doing it next year as part of my 50th. I did Iceland Ultra for 40th so thought this might be a good challenge.
    Neil

Master
    Do you mean this?
    https://www.atjanwildislands.com/

If so, we did it last year (the ultra route). Fantastic place. Course was really good but had problems with the route markers at the end. It was the first time it had run though so they've probably sorted out the teething problems by now. The routes have certainly been largely changed for this year.

Highly recommended. I'll definitely do it again, though probably not until 2021.

5 characters of WOW!

Anybody know the likelihood of this selling out quickly for next year...?

I’m seriously interested in the ultra, but note the limit of 500 across all races, and I probably wouldn’t be in a position to commit until xmas...

I suppose I could take the risk and buy a place early, it will give me incentive for it all to come together.

Quite fancy the drive through Europe to catch the ferry over from Denmark.

Master
    Last year's didn't sell out until quite close to the event. This year's sold much quicker as word spread though not until a few months into the year. I'm sure next year's will sell quicker again, but how quickly is anyone's guess!

Thank you for the info... Think I’m going to take the plunge and get myself on the ultra, and make a holiday of it. Looks an absolutely stunning place...

Have been doing some proper research into this and I can see it coming together for next year.

I note that several of the areas for hiking/etc are covered by a tourism charge, and one or two where a guide is compulsory. A couple of the charges are extortionate... 30 quid for access...

Any one got any experience of this? Can a speedy(?!?) runner avoid these charges without being chased down by a tribe of bloodthirsty Vikings/rangers...?

Although the vast majority of the land appears to be free to hike/run/explore on...

I always get shocked at the price of things in Scandinavia, they are on average 3 times what we would normally pay here in the UK. A beer is £10, a burger and chips £25 etc... which makes the £30 access fee more like £10. Just a little food for thought.

I admit I am tempted myself, although I would pick a shorter race for obvious reasons!

Have you got a rough idea of total cost?

Well i'm planning to make a holiday of it... and drive up through France, Holland, Germany, Denmark, catch the ferry...

My budget for return ferry & cabin, hotel each way somewhere in northern Europe for a night, petrol, European car insurance, accommodation in the Faroes, race entry... approx. 10 nights in Faroes depending on ferry schedules, giving approx. 2 weeks all-told... around £1400

I'd imagine flying and staying for a shorter period would reduce the cost significantly. But I want to make an adventure of it...

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense! Thanks for sharing

Would you drive over the Øresund Bridge as part of your journey? Something I have long wanted to do, especially since watching Sage and Martin in The Bridge

I need to give this some thought, I am quite ambivalent about it, on the one hand I think it looks absolutely amazing and would love to run around those hills in that scenery - goodness me!! On the other hand it all feels a bit too high profile or perhaps too commercial for me, I generally prefer the vibe of much smaller 'local events', not that I have much experience of fell running events, I do mean more generally.

I guess I have plenty of time to decide