Thread: Snow

Snow

Any recommendations for shoes for runni g in mixed snow/slush/mud? Currently wearing Mudclaws/Hoka Torrent/ Mutants but nothing seems to work in really mixed conditions. Is it worth getting some Kahtoola spikes?

Kathoola Microspikes are very good, but they only really come into their own on icy ground, when they are excellent.

They will certainly improve your grip on slush/snow, and I have used them for that in the past... but it’s not necessarily what they are designed for... They can get a little snowballed/clogged with compacted snow/slush on the underside in those conditions, but within a few steps of hitting some harder ground, it disperses.

For the cost I’d recommend them...

People also seem to rave about the orienteering type shoes with metal “dobs” in them, which might be a better fit for those conditions... VJ make excellent fell/orienteering shoes, but i have no personal experience of dobbed shoes...

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I've always found the mudclaw to be OK in wet snow but carry some micro-spikes for mixed conditions as they definitely have an advantage on harder snow and ice.
    Also have some inov-8 orocs with the metal dobs that I picked up in a sale. They are great in mixed conditions and particularly ice as the dobs will bite in to most slippery surfaces. Only down side is they are quite heavy and you will be heard from about a mile away if you need to run on the road in them. Otherwise a great winter shoe.

Thanks. I have wondered about spikes for years. We rarely get any prolonged periods of good snow on Skye. You only really get good stuff up high in the Cuillin where Id never go. I've looked at Orocs in the past but thought they'd been discontinued. I also looked at some metal spikes the La Sportiva used to sell to screw into the old Crosslite. Ill have a look around. We're having a cold spell just now but it's so changeable here that as soon as the wind swings to the west it'll be back to mild, dreich and windy.