Thread: Alps questions

Alps questions

Can anybody help...

Rough idea on the latest time in the year when you can rock up in the Alps and reasonably expect to be able to go out running without encountering snow/winter conditions?

I'm not suggesting scaling Mont Blanc or the Matterhorn, but some reasonably high-level days out running...

Would October/November be generally ok?

Also if anybody has any ideas regarding the best location for a first-timer to the Alps... preferably plenty of running in a spectacular location, and some decent ridges... I have already had a bit of a look into Alps Haven, but would consider any area...

Cheers

Can't help with the Alps Travs but could recommend the Tatra Mountains on the Polish/Slovakian border. I was based in Zakopane, a fantastic area a bit further away, but much quieter and cheaper than the Alps.

Or it was around 25 years ago!

Forgot to include that October is usually pretty good but as you know mountain weather can quickly change.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 17-12-2019 at 03:04 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Can't help with the Alps Travs but could recommend the Tatra Mountains on the Polish/Slovakian border. I was based in Zakopane, a fantastic area a bit further away, but much quieter and cheaper than the Alps.

Or it was around 25 years ago!

Forgot to include that October is usually pretty good but as you know mountain weather can quickly change.
    Missed you! I passed through Zakopane 25 years ago (September 1994), although I was on the Slovak side of the border for most of my time in the Tatra.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Friend of mine went to the Tatra about the same time. Had a hard time finding onions.
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Can anybody help...

Rough idea on the latest time in the year when you can rock up in the Alps and reasonably expect to be able to go out running without encountering snow/winter conditions?

I'm not suggesting scaling Mont Blanc or the Matterhorn, but some reasonably high-level days out running...

Would October/November be generally ok?

Also if anybody has any ideas regarding the best location for a first-timer to the Alps... preferably plenty of running in a spectacular location, and some decent ridges... I have already had a bit of a look into Alps Haven, but would consider any area...

Cheers

We spent two weeks Campervanning in Lauterbrunnen which is a fabulous quintesential alpine village surounded by snow capped mountains including the Eiger,Monch and Jungfrau which are the most well known of the many hills which can all be seen and reached from the village by whatever means you choose, the possibilities for running/walking are endless.

The village is surrounded by huge rockfaces with something like 72 waterfalls including Stabbach falls which is Europes highest free falling waterfall.

I could go on but won`t because one of the great things about a place like Lauterbrunnen is the personal pre planing and the the real life discovery when you arrive.

The Jungfrau Marathon run in September may be of interest to you it is a stunning run although not particulary technical.

If you were able to get your hands on a campervan I can reccomend the Lauterbrunnen campsite, also if you were staying for a few days I would suggest loooking into the Jungfrau Travel pass for unlimited travel which gives unlimited travel on Trains buses and Gondola if you buy 5 day passes the coverage is even more extensive.

TBH we spent 14 Dys there and never exhausted the possiblities open to us.

Well worth consideration in our opinion, google as you know is a good starting point.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Thank you JohnK that sounds exactly the kind of info I’m looking for... will take a look at that tomorrow...

Sadly September and the marathon would be too early next year... my planned race commitments mean October would be the earliest, which prompted my initial question re weather conditions...

Will mull it all over, although still thinking about the Lanzarote/Tenerife for the heat and sun, or just swanning off to somewhere like Hawaii for a real holiday!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Thank you JohnK that sounds exactly the kind of info I’m looking for... will take a look at that tomorrow...

Sadly September and the marathon would be too early next year... my planned race commitments mean October would be the earliest, which prompted my initial question re weather conditions...

Will mull it all over, although still thinking about the Lanzarote/Tenerife for the heat and sun, or just swanning off to somewhere like Hawaii for a real holiday!
    Trans check out the Hardegratt Ridge, it looks awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Corniceman View Post
    Trans check out the Hardegratt Ridge, it looks awesome.
    Trans? Is there something you want to tell us Travs!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Thank you all. JohnK for the initial suggestion, and Corniceman that ridge does look stunning, and just a few miles from Lauterbrunnen.

This is now getting some serious consideration and certainly coming together in my head... perhaps a week/10 days running, combined with a further week in northern Italy for some football (only a few hours train ride to Milan).

Thanks again for the info...

Have stayed in the St Gervais and Chamonix areas several times and Annecy a couple of times. Also Beaufort. All excellent low mountain running areas, with the opportunity to go much higher if you want to. Should be snow free in October but guess likely to get snow in November.