Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Go faster shoes?

Banned

Go faster shoes?

Has anyone actually tried these Vaporfly Next shoes that seem to have go faster stripes?
    Notably Kipchoge and Kosgei in recent records.

My interest is not going quicker, I have slowed down far too much for that.
    But I got the impression from some comments that the shoes , by reflecting energy rather than dissipating it, also have less impact so they may do less damage to legs and joints when running on hard surfaces.

Does anyone have a view?

£200+ !?!?

Seems like marketing bulls**t to me. It might make the difference to a Kipchoge for example, the difference between breaking the world record by 5 seconds, or missing out by 20 seconds...

But 99.99% of the running population (myself included) would benefit a lot more from just training better.

Should add that I've not tried them... although I am considering some (cheaper) Nikes for my next road shoes.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    £200+ !?!?

Seems like marketing bulls**t to me. It might make the difference to a Kipchoge for example, the difference between breaking the world record by 5 seconds, or missing out by 20 seconds...

But 99.99% of the running population (myself included) would benefit a lot more from just training better.

Should add that I've not tried them... although I am considering some (cheaper) Nikes for my next road shoes.
    I know! The thought of spending brass gets me into a Yorkshire cold sweat! Short arms and deep pockets.

But somehow I have to stop leg and joint impact damage, it now limits how far I can go.
    In winter it’s hard to train except on harder ground locally.
    So if it lets me train, it’s grudgingly worth it.

I was curious about reports id seen where marathon runners were saying their legs had never felt better at the end of the race and after. Is it hype or true?
    Last edited by Oracle; 19-12-2019 at 02:57 PM.

i have read that there are some credible claims that strava data suggests that the Nike shoes in question do make a difference. one explanation i've seen is that they reduce the impact on your less muscles and therefore cause less fatigue over the longer distance such as marathon.

Banned
    These are the claims I’ve seen.

I would love to hear some stories from wearers who took the plunge.

Quote Originally Posted by benshep View Post
    i have read that there are some credible claims that strava data suggests that the Nike shoes in question do make a difference. one explanation i've seen is that they reduce the impact on your less muscles and therefore cause less fatigue over the longer distance such as marathon.

Possibly... but surely the same could be claimed by someone like Hoka?

Incidentally I've used Hoka road and trail shoes in the past year, and got on fairly well with both.

Banned

Incidentally I've used Hoka road and trail shoes in the past year, and got on fairly well with both.

Thanks

This is interesting travs.
    https://www.runnersworld.com/health-...-biomechanics/

Has reservations about maximal shoes altering gait?

As I understand it, maybe wrong, the vaporfly are aiming to add spring, rather than maximal cushioning?

Yes you're probably right...

I think there's a whole load of debate regards cushioning etc, which I'd rather not get embroiled in!!

On one hand the marketing/hype behind super-cushioned shoes. And from the other side, lovers of bare-foot type shoes.

All I know is I've felt a bit happier banging out the flat miles using my Hokas. And my running gait/technique is beyond help anyway!

With regards to improving 'spring', could it be argued that this is an aid and shouldn't really be allowed (I have no idea on the technology used in the Nike shoe).

Hoka Speedgoats for everything for me now, I found I was getting joint pain and these have cured it, although my missus says that I run differently now than before, possibly more on my fore foot

Banned
    Fascinating. Thanks, that’s the sort of feedback I’m after.

Just been looking at them on the web: they also mention spring.

Being a tight git, I might try sg 3 rather than sg 4! Is there a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    Hoka Speedgoats for everything for me now, I found I was getting joint pain and these have cured it, although my missus says that I run differently now than before, possibly more on my fore foot