Thread: BGR 2019 summary

BGR 2019 summary

Happy new year!

Here's the figures for last year's (2019) attempts and successes on the Bob Graham Round.

PHP Code:
       +--------+---------------+--------------+---------------+-------+
       |        | 
    registrations successes_cw successes_acw total |
       |   
    male |           202 |          107 |             |   111 |
       | 
    female |            22 |           12 |             |    14 |
       |  
    Total |           224 |          119 |             |   125 |
    Fastest times were 17:25 for the men and 18:45 for the ladies.

The average age of successful contenders was 38yrs 5months.

The age of successful contenders ranged from 23 to 60.

Previous attempts

PHP Code:
    +---------------+------+--------+
    prev_attempts male female |
    |             
    |   90 |     13 |
    |             
    |   17 |      |
    |             
    |    |      |
    |             
    |    |      |
    Successful qualifying Rounds by month and direction.

PHP Code:
       +-------+-----------+---------------+-------+
       | 
    month clockwise anticlockwise total |
       | 
    01    |         |             |     |
       | 
    02    |         |             |     |
       | 
    04    |         |             |     |
       | 
    05    |        20 |             |    22 |
       | 
    06    |        45 |             |    48 |
       | 
    07    |        24 |             |    24 |
       | 
    08    |        10 |             |    11 |
       | 
    09    |        10 |             |    10 |
       | 
    10    |         |             |     |
    Most popular starting times:

PHP Code:
    +------------+-------+
    start_time total |
    +------------+-------+
    18:01      |    22 |
    19:00      |    14 |
    23:00      |    13 |
    21:00      |     |
    22:00      |     |
    01:00      |     |
    00:00      |     |
    +------------+-------+ 
    The busiest days were the following.

PHP Code:
    +--------------+-------+
    success_date total |
    +--------------+-------+
    2019-06-22   |    18 |
    2019-06-15   |     |
    2019-06-01   |     |
    2019-07-21   |     |
    2019-05-11   |     |
    2019-07-13   |     |
    +--------------+-------+ 
    The year's fastest time isn't actually listed above since those figures only relate to qualifying Rounds. Kim Collison did his second winter Round (and his third Round overall) at the start of December in a stunning time of 15:47. This is not only the quickest winter Round by some margin, bettering Jim Mann's 2012 time by 2 1/2 hours, but was also quick enough to be in the top ten fastest ever times. Another impressive winter Round was Tom Gibbs' fastest mid-winter Round of 20:20 in early January. There were eight winter attempts in 2019 with three being successful.

The Bob Graham Round is seeing increased interest from overseas and 2019 saw 12 successful Rounds including the first from The Czech Republic, Denmark, Belgium and Italy. This brings the total of overseas runners to 41.

I've updated and uploaded the document listing club members to the Club's website - http://www.bobgrahamclub.org.uk/index.php?page=members. The listing now indicates female members, winter qualifying rounds, nationality and deceased status where appropriate. Deceased status is year if known or ("Deceased") otherwise. I have basic details of nearly all members' Rounds entered into a database so any errors will now be fixed there and will then propagate to documents generated from it such as the above.

There are now sufficient winter successes that the table on the Club website is getting rather big so it's easier to generate a similar document from the database. This is available here - http://www.bobgrahamclub.org.uk/index.php?page=winter

Hopefully I've fixed any obvious transcription errors that previously existed but it's entirely possible that I've missed some, and maybe reintroduced some, so if you find any errors in either document please let me know.

A quick note on "basic details". Even before GDPR came into effect, as a club we've little need for much personal info, what data we do ask for is limited to age on the day of success, gender and nationality along with information about the Round. This lets us answer questions such as: "Who's the oldest lady to have succeeded?" (Beverley Redfern at the age of 54) or "Am I the first completion from xxxx?" (no idea!).
    Last edited by Bob; 01-01-2020 at 12:57 PM.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I've updated and uploaded the document listing club members to the Club's website - http://www.bobgrahamclub.org.uk/index.php?page=members. The listing now indicates female members, winter qualifying rounds, nationality and deceased status where appropriate. Deceased status is year if known or ("Deceased") otherwise. I have basic details of nearly all members' Rounds entered into a database so any errors will now be fixed there and will then propagate to documents generated from it such as the above.
    I have looked at the list for the earlier years (up to 1981) and with my pedant's hat on, I couldn't help noticing some typos:-

80 Andrew Philipson (missing "i")
    86 Mike Walford ("l", not "t")
    173 Peter Haynes (missing "n")
    And are you sure that 174 Dave Kingham is deceased? No sign of this on his LinkedIn profile https://www.linkedin.com/in/david-kingham-65534911/ or business website https://www.tokamakenergy.co.uk/company/our-team/ [This is definitely the same person: Dave was a clubmate of mine in Cambridge University Orienteering Club at the time of his BGR.]
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Ta. I imported the names and the mistakes from the old lists which were transcribed from the original forms. Given the, ahem, quality of the handwriting on some of them it's not surprising.

However I now have the original forms to check:

173 most definitely is "Hayes" as his form was typed. The other two have been corrected.

Not sure where the deceased info for Dave Kingham came from so I'll resurrect him.

Edit: A note about the history of the list.

Originally the list was typed out by Fred Rogerson from the submitted forms, paper spreadsheets and various scrawls of the early completers. This would have been continued by Brian Covell. Looking in the 42 Peaks booklet both Andrew Philipson and Mike Walford are spelt correctly. When the Club website began in 2007 the whole list was copied into a Word document so it looks like the errors crept in then.

The subsequent annual updates simply appended the latest year's names to the end of the document and so the errors have perpetuated. Occasionally someone would contact me to say their name was misspelt and I'd correct it.

From 2013 onwards every registration and ratification has been electronic and the data simply copied to the database so any mistakes originate from the individuals themselves. Not foolproof - I had to check with one or two individuals about their gender for example!

In making the database complete I did a bulk import of the names and membership numbers of the earlier years - no way was I typing in all 1700+ names - so any errors in the list carried on. Late last year I went through the fifteen ring binder folders holding the paper records and updated the details for each member's Round - date, finishing time, direction, time taken for the Round, etc. sometimes I'd notice that the name was misspelt but I obviously missed others as I usually went by membership number since that's "in order".
    Last edited by Bob; 02-01-2020 at 09:50 AM.
    Bob

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    173 most definitely is "Hayes" as his form was typed. The other two have been corrected.
    I think I can explain this. To gain recognition as a mathematician in Cambridge (and Peter Haynes rose to become Head of the Applied Mathematics department at Cambridge http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/phh/ ), you need to demonstrate that unworldly absent-mindedness that is stereotypical of Cambridge mathematicians. And what better way to do this than mistyping your own name?

By the way, my comments were not intended to be any sort of criticism of your great efforts in maintaining the Bob Graham Club list.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

No problem. Mistakes are mistakes.
    Bob