Thread: Gore Tex boots or not?

Gore Tex boots or not?

I’m going to Norway in the summer with leading a Gold DofE expedition. My big winter Boots are too cumbersome and in summer I wear fell shoes in this country. But as we’re wild camping for 4 nights and walking I’m wondering about what boots to take with the ankle appropriate support.
    Do I go for Gore Tex and potentially have 4 days in wet boots (as it isn’t fully waterproof or breathable) or use non-waterproof boots and have wet feet that can breathe? If so any ideas on lightweight summer boots with minimal-ish drop?

Or lightweight shoes with the option of waterproof socks?

I'm a fan but Mrs noel gets rotten feet with this approach.

I recently bought some of these.
    https://www.outdooraction.co.uk/foot...s-pd-15797.php

They were for walking and running.

Never had Goretex footwear before, but I have to say I really like them.

Once I'd broken them in, which took a couple of 10 mile walks, been very comfortable and great grip except on loose, sloppy mud - but then not much is good in that.

Use them for running now.

I've been out in wet conditions and my feet have come back bone dry. On a very wet day a few weeks back I had lots of running water to content with, and my feet did get wet then early on as I had to wade through a little brook, but was fine again.

I'm likely to get another pair.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell