Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spine 2020

Spine 2020

The Spine kicks off on sunday morning, another fantastic week following the live map...!

Any predictions this year? Another tactical shoot-out between Tom Hollins, Eoin, and Eugene...?

I'll be cheering for Steve Jones of Dark Peak. He won't be challenging the leaders, but a massively dedicated fell and ultra runner, and I'd tip him to improve on last year's time. And if that wasn't enough, then shortly afterwards heading off to the Yukon for the YAU...!

Huw Davies... is that the young fella from Mercia who did the Dragon's Back in the past? He'd certainly have the pace to be a challenger, if he's got enough stamina.

I'll be following if not cheering!

Somewhat oddly I was doing some paperwork at home the other day when there was a knock at the door. A bit odd since we live in the middle of nowhere. Went to the door and it was a lad I'd worked with about seven years ago and he'd been walking past and noticed my bike which I'd been cleaning and had left to dry. "That's Bob's" he'd thought "And that's his car. He must live here." (Hardware engineer - so can be slow on the uptake). During the chat he mentioned he's attempting the Spine so I'll be following him. I'll withhold his name unless he wins of course.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

John Kelly of Barkley Marathons/Grand Round fame will be interesting to follow too

Simon Gfeller is also one to watch.

I'll also be rooting for Dark Peak's Steven Jones.

I have a feeling a few unknowns might surprise the race...

Master
    Second placed woman in the Challenger event - 10 miles or so to go - is an oceanographer and has to do a lot of her training on a treadmill on board. Respect.

Well John Kelly seems to have gone off hard and got a few miles gap. But seems this year there's a fairly substantial chasing pack, rather than just one or two destroying the field.

Early days yet though!

Master
    oops I think John Kelly had a navigational moment out of Hawes
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    oops I think John Kelly had a navigational moment out of Hawes
    Definitely. Are there time penalties for route deviation? He's added a wee bit of extra distance but used 1km+ of road to get back on track, so arguably a bit of easier going. I'd guess the error was time neutral (i.e. he didn't gain an advantage, probably even lost a bit), but I think there have been penalties in previous Spines.

Looks like Eoin is very slowly closing on him going over Great Shunner (though he had less rest at Hawes).
    Geoff Clarke

I guess Eoin's experience will really come into play in the last 36 hours. I will be keeping an eye on my Fellsman running mate and Manchester based compatriot Fiona Lynch. She finished the dragon's back last year