Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spine 2020

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    No but fastest male time
    He did well to get that close to Jasmin's time, given the difference in conditions between this year and last.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    He certainly did. Storm Brendon did its best to slow him down but I think he only had 3 hours sleep in all. Impressive stuff

The video of Eoin and John's chat at the end was interesting. Eoin said he had never seen the course so wet. I can vouch for that with the runs in the hills behind my house. Think that is a win and two seconds for Eoin now.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    No but fastest male time
    Do you think a man will ever beat the course record

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Do you think a man will ever beat the course record
    Not until they start training as hard as the women do
    The older I get the Faster I was

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post

I'd love to do it... but for me the kit list on winter Spine is significant enough that unless you spend a lot on the lightest kit (probably light enough to not be of use if you needed to sleep outside etc), then i'd have to forget about running, as pack size would be so large (I have loaded up with 'Spine kit' on a weekend bivvy in the Lakes and this was the case for me).

Summer Spine race with the more relaxed kit list, less participants, less wall-to-wall coverage etc, seems very appealing though..
    Skip the grand for entry spend the money you save on the light kit, book your holidays and set off solo or with a few like minded souls and run the pennine way whenever you like.
    Your prize will be still owning the kit to get out and run any other ultra routes you fancy as often as you like.
    Last edited by JohnK; 16-01-2020 at 09:08 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Skip the grand for entry spend the money you save on the light kit, book your holidays and set off solo or with a few like minded souls and run the pennine way whenever you like.
    Your prize will be still owning the kit to get out and run any other ultra routes you fancy as often as you like.

Can’t argue with your viewpoint!

My point however was that I’d not be confident doing the full PW in winter in lightweight gear, however expensive and “good”.... I’d want to be fully satisfied that I could stop on the side and sleep for a few hours without worrying about freezing to death... and the gear I packed up to satisfy both the kit-list and myself, prohibited me from running for any great length.

Different case for the Eoin Keith’s of the world I guess.

Think the summer version is currently around £600 to enter, and the kit list is a lot more manageable in my eyes, with a view to going “fast”... having said that it’s still a hefty figure, and as you allude to, there’s stuff I can do for free which is currently higher on my to-do list!

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    The video of Eoin and John's chat at the end was interesting. Eoin said he had never seen the course so wet. I can vouch for that with the runs in the hills behind my house.
    Concur, I took a run up along the border ridge this morning (saw runners 9-12 descending towards Hut 2), and it’s an utter swamp. Granted, Northumberland is basically all swamp all the time, but def the swampiest I have seen said swamp.