Thread: Kendal: car parking

Kendal: car parking

I'm doing 'That's Lyth' next week, and I know from previous experience that it's increasingly difficult to find all-day parking near Kendal town centre, especially as I need to be parked up by 7.30am.
    The organisers say to use the Westmorland Shopping Centre or Snowsports, but I've looked up the websites: Westmorland apparently doesn't open until 8.30 on a Sunday, and Snowsports seems not to be open on Sundays at all until after Easter.
    If anyone could let me know anything different or make another suggestion I'd be very grateful. One year I had to set off twenty minutes after everybody else because of parking problems, and there seems to be even less capacity now.
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

Hi Tussockface

I live in Kendal and can confirm parking is a pain! Options I could suggest would be near the Police station / Mountain rescue centre (Busher Walk) or a bit further up there is Kendal Green which has free parking round it. It’s a nice area so unlikely to have any crime issues.

Rich 👍🏼

If you come into Kendal from the south, there's a little car park on the right, almost immediately after you pass Pete Blands on the left. I've rocked up there late morning on a busy summers day and never failed to find a space.

Whether there's a limit on maximum stay i'm afraid I couldn't tell you...

I suppose you could consider parking at Oxenholme, and timing with an early train into Kendal Town...

Good shout Travs 😎

I wouldn’t recommend the trains as they would probably be cancelled 😂

The ones I suggested are free - here is the link to the council site that shows all the prices and durations available

https://www.southlakeland.gov.uk/par...rking-charges/

Quote Originally Posted by RichA View Post

The ones I suggested are free - here is the link to the council site that shows all the prices and durations available

https://www.southlakeland.gov.uk/par...rking-charges/
    The one I suggested is Peppercorn Lane.... appears to be a maximum of 4 hours, unless you purchase a 3-day pass which would be £15....!

I'd just park on a side road...

Yep me too - it would be f to the r to the double e

My favourite price 😉

Master
    Try Kendal Cricket club on Shap road 10 minutes to abbot hall pay in honesty box.
    In fact if you come in a campervan you can overnight for a fiver no facilities though once the club is closed.
    No time restrictions.

Gamblesmire is on form and is a splendid mud bath have fun

Are you doing Spring in Lakeland 50 miler if so I will see you there
    Last edited by JohnK; 17-01-2020 at 07:53 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Or if you don't mind a slightly longer walk to the start there's free parking at the weekend outside the school on the Tebay road out of town.Theres usually also spaces further along the same road nearer to the town centre but I try and avoid these as they are outside people's houses - you probably have every right to park there but it's not polite!If I'm running around Kendal I often park at the Morrison's complex, there aren't currently any restrictions but I can tell you from personal experience that it feels like a long walk back after doing Lyth..
    Last edited by Mark G; 19-01-2020 at 10:30 AM.

Thanks everyone for those suggestions. That's really useful. I entirely agree with Marg G about the unpleasantness of a long walk back to the car after you've finished the event... it IS possible to have too much of a good thing, and I've normally reached that point a couple of hours earlier.
    It's good to know about camper van parking at the cricket club, as I sometimes drive up in the camper and have struggled to find anywhere to put it.
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies