Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Cholesterol - any doctor here ?

Update...

I got my cholesterol tested again, this time early morning after 12hr of fasting, previous test was faulty because done just after lunch. Here the new outcome:

total cholesterol: 209 (still slightly higher, before was 242, optimum is <200)
    HDL, "good" cholesterol: 69.8 (was 77, optimum is >60)
    LDL, "bad" cholesterol: 125 (was 161, optimum is <130)
    trygliceridi: 70 (was 208, optimum is <150)

it seems they are good.
    They also tested a bunch of other parameters. It seems they are also all good.

Well done. As you were!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Here we go, 6 months after I started taking "red rice" following advice from the cardiologist because cholesterol was (slightly) high, I took my blood test again and here the result:

Cholesterol 187, was 209, ideal <200
    Triglicerid 38, was 70, ideal <200
    HDL 70.1, was 69.8, ideal >35
    LDL 109, was 125, ideal <160

No bad. I'll speak with the Dr next week, I expect she'll say "change nothing, keep taking red rice".
    Any Dr here? what do you think?

I'm 47, male, been perfect BMI all my life 177cm/66kg, always done sport.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambatte View Post
    Here we go, 6 months after I started taking "red rice" following advice from the cardiologist because cholesterol was (slightly) high, I took my blood test again and here the result:

Cholesterol 187, was 209, ideal <200
    Triglicerid 38, was 70, ideal <200
    HDL 70.1, was 69.8, ideal >35
    LDL 109, was 125, ideal <160

No bad. I'll speak with the Dr next week, I expect she'll say "change nothing, keep taking red rice".
    Any Dr here? what do you think?

I'm 47, male, been perfect BMI all my life 177cm/66kg, always done sport.
    Whatever you are doing, keep doing it!

Seconded!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Do you guys know more about this "red rice" that I've been taking since the Dr recommended it 7 months ago?

It's a supplement, not a medicine. I've read from random sites online that it's supposed to have side effects (I haven't noticed any), including liver damage after long term usage, and some health care professionals strongly discourage to take it.

Well, the Dr recommended so that's that, and I will ask again, but of course I'm curious....
    Last edited by Gambatte; 02-11-2020 at 04:44 PM.

Never heard of it. I dont really obsess about what I eat about from no meat.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Gambatte View Post
    Do you guys know more about this "red rice" that I've been taking since the Dr recommended it 7 months ago?
    I'd never heard of it before I googled it after you talked about it. Basically, it's a statin: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...000%20patients.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-sup...ceride%20level.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    I'd never heard of it before I googled it after you talked about it. Basically, it's a statin: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...000%20patients.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-sup...ceride%20level.
    Did not know this - interesting. So it is like taking a statin but at a tiny dose.

Master
    Must admit this thread has got my attention. I was wondering, if a person has a normal cholesterol value of say 5.5 but is outside the statistical normal range I.e. 5.0 what negative effects would forcing this down below 5.0 with statins produce? Am I right in thinking the body then wouldn't have enough cholesterol for normal functions?