Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Six Nations.

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    There were a couple of lads in the English pitch pre-kick off line who quite deliberately did not take the knee before the National Anthems were sung. Courtney Lawes was one I think, but I couldn't see the other as, very strangely, the TV camera seemed to avoid that angle. Courtney has been a major critic of BLM and has been roundly slagged off on social media for standing up (pun intended) for what he believes.

Have to say that was their best performance on the pitch the whole day!!!

I didn't see any lads in the Welsh or Ireland teams pitch line-up capitulate to BLM tyranny.
    Billy Vunipola was one of the other England players not to cave in. He says he doesn't agree with the BLM supporters burning churches and bibles in the USA. Fair point.

It will be interesting to see if the BBC put pressure on Wales and Scotland for Saturdays match at Murrayfield. If they do I hope they are told to do one!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Phew....we made heavy weather of dispatching 14 Irish tigers! A tough match for all concerned.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Probably worth noting that the taking a knee gesture for the 6 Nations isn't aligned to support for BLM but rather the statement "Racism is not acceptable in rugby, in sport or the world we live in". I guess some players (and others) see that as a tacit endorsement of BLM given the gesture's use originated from BLM support and Colin Kaepernick.

Would be interesting to see if the above were more clearly stated whether it changed players' choices. I reckon the unions have got it right though, it's got to be down to the players to make their own decision about whether or not to do it.

Despite its good intentions I think the gesture is in danger of becoming counterproductive. The longer it's used the more its impact is diminished and the more we'll see weird squabbles over what it means to do it, not do it, what exactly it's purpose is, how long does it continue, etc.
    Geoff Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    Probably worth noting that the taking a knee gesture for the 6 Nations isn't aligned to support for BLM but rather the statement "Racism is not acceptable in rugby, in sport or the world we live in". I guess some players (and others) see that as a tacit endorsement of BLM given the gesture's use originated from BLM support and Colin Kaepernick.

Would be interesting to see if the above were more clearly stated whether it changed players' choices. I reckon the unions have got it right though, it's got to be down to the players to make their own decision about whether or not to do it.

Despite its good intentions I think the gesture is in danger of becoming counterproductive. The longer it's used the more its impact is diminished and the more we'll see weird squabbles over what it means to do it, not do it, what exactly it's purpose is, how long does it continue, etc.
    Different sporting authorities and other organisations can try and fool us all they like that their taking the knee is not aligned to BLM.

Everyone knows that it is and very many do not like it and will not be bullied into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Billy Vunipola was one of the other England players not to cave in. He says he doesn't agree with the BLM supporters burning churches and bibles in the USA. Fair point.
    Fair point indeed. This is part of the problem of having a movement that doesn't have defined remit, goals, manifesto etc. I don't think BLM as a idea supports or even condones any burning of churches, but there's no way for it to distance itself from things like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Phew....we made heavy weather of dispatching 14 Irish tigers! A tough match for all concerned.
    That was a relief at the end, I thought Wales were done and dusted with 30 seconds remaining and ball in hand - how wrong could I be . Close call that, happy to take the points.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Different sporting authorities and other organisations can try and fool us all they like that their taking the knee is not aligned to BLM.
    You might be right, but to what end? E.g. 6 Nations are saying anti-racism, so what's the benefit to them to supposedly fool people in to taking a knee in the name of that? As Noel says, BLM has to some extent become amorphous and while I believe the vast majority of its supporters don't condone some of the more extreme actions taken in its name, it's probably more helpful for a wider reach to think in terms of anti-racism rather than BLM specifically.
    Geoff Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    That was a relief at the end, I thought Wales were done and dusted with 30 seconds remaining and ball in hand - how wrong could I be . Close call that, happy to take the points.
    It was.

I could not believe it when Wales' replacement scrum half Gareth Davies kicked the ball away with 10 seconds to go. He's a top 9 but has form for daft decisions under pressure, probably his only fault, but one he needs to eradicate sharpish!

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Fair point indeed. This is part of the problem of having a movement that doesn't have defined remit, goals, manifesto etc. I don't think BLM as a idea supports or even condones any burning of churches, but there's no way for it to distance itself from things like this.
    BLM do have a manifesto, or rather a series of them which they variously amend depending on the political climate (the US BLM manifesto mysterious disappeared from online during the US election year and a spoof one replaced it).

Here's the Welsh BLM Chapter's manifesto

https://blm.wales/manifesto/

And here's some evidence of the 'burn it down' threats from BLM supports (from the New York Post):

https://nypost.com/2020/06/25/blm-le...n-this-system/

Bringing politics/religion into sport is always going to be problematic because it ends up being unnecessarily divisive.
    Am Yisrael Chai

It was.

I could not believe it when Wales' replacement scrum half Gareth Davies kicked the ball away with 10 seconds to go. He's a top 9 but has form for daft decisions under pressure, probably his only fault, but one he needs to eradicate sharpish!

True, but then to be fair both Sexton and Billy Burns kicked the ball dead from penalty gifts that could have got them on a 5 meter line-out and rolling maul chance to score! I bet Burns is still feeling completely gutted.
    Am Yisrael Chai