Regards to the issue highlighted in the recent ROs email.

The FRA to me has two hats.

1. It is a membership organisation that produces a magazine and calendar for the use of it's members along with supporting website, forum.....
2. It is a National Committee with delegated powers through it's link to UKA/EA to administer fell running in England and offer guidance for the overall management of the sport across the UK.

It seems there is a concern that runners who are not FRA members, are benefitting without contributing.

Many fell running FRA non-members, and I know a few including some at my club, are already paying in to England Athletics through their annual affiliation and now also to Northern Athletics. I think it's now £19 total per year per athlete.
That EA registration is their race license and in the other Home Nations that is how the system operates.

That athlete element of affiliation to EA, something some fell-only clubs/athletes have historically not operated, actually helps contribute to the insurance cover provided by Race Organisers. It also helps contribute to the coach education, national squads....

So I would just urge that care is taken in the handling of this matter. I contribute to Fell Running whether I have paid my FRA membership or not.
Over the years I have:
Paid my EA license to race.
Paid my FRA membership for the informative calendar/handbook, and the excellent articles in Fellrunner.

Moves to make FRA Membership a condition for race entry, or priority race entry, is wrong in my opinion.