Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: FRA Members ratio in races

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post

WP: regarding your earlier point, (post #51) isn't it true that the WFRA have surcharges for non-members (Travs will know more than me on this)

ba-ba.... yes it is true that some races certainly do.

I did at least 5 WFRA races last year and only recall a surcharge on one of them. So i don't think it's a compulsory ruling. I can say that it certainly worked... the surcharge was an extra £7 on top of a £3 entry free, and i made sure to join them this year!

You also need to be in the WFRA to feature in the Welsh Champs and North South/Wales Series. If not, you are scored in the individual races but part way into the season they do a champs table and you suddenly find yourself off the table!

This is however clearly stated on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    ba-ba.... yes it is true that some races certainly do.

I did at least 5 WFRA races last year and only recall a surcharge on one of them. So i don't think it's a compulsory ruling. I can say that it certainly worked... the surcharge was an extra £7 on top of a £3 entry free, and i made sure to join them this year!

You also need to be in the WFRA to feature in the Welsh Champs and North South/Wales Series. If not, you are scored in the individual races but part way into the season they do a champs table and you suddenly find yourself off the table!

This is however clearly stated on their website.
    First "But"
    In Wales there is the option for Organisers who are already registered to Welsh Athletics to register the race with them.
    The WFRA don't have a monopoly on officially sanctioned fell races.

Second "But" is that yes they have an option to add a surcharge to WFRA events for non WFRA runners. I'm not sure if that race is then "under UKA Rules". It could be, but it could be separate from them.

Third - I know Ba-Ba understands it to be optional. I understand that isn't the case but I could be proven wrong in due course.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

You're obviously far more knowledgeable on the subject than me.

I didn't really look at technicalities from an RO point of view. I simply planned to do at least a dozen of the various champs races and it made financial sense (plus i could actually get in the results).

On a vaguely similar subject... my club (xc/road/track with just a small handful of fell runners) has proposed reduced subs for next year to take into account all the missed months this year (our subs are due in march so we paid a full year about two weeks before the lockdown started!)

Banned
    Indeed. Some types of address are treated as suspicious, such as hotmail.
    Others like AOL have very low limit rates on how many can be mailed to their users from an outside address.

All recipient services and service providers look at the trustworthiness of the sending source, not just the spam score of the content.( some surprising words can trigger spam filters, words like “ free” or even exclamation marks.

So possibly cockup not conspiracy. The joys of email autoresponders.

It is also why it is far better for organisations to use a trusted auto responser service, rather than mailing from their own domains , although how FRA tackle this I have to confess I have no idea.

Even low end services like mail chimp ( The free service would be adequate for RO mailing) have far better deliverability than own domain, since it is a trusted source, and mail chimp shuts down spammers. These services also automatically throttle delivery over a period

Quote Originally Posted by FellJunior View Post
    Not all emails are delivered; some end up in spam folders, some are eventually returned by the protocol for various reasons e.g. recipient mailbox is full, some simply disappear. BT, Yahoo, Google have increasingly stringent but apparently inconsistent rules for vetting messages with the result of far too many false positives, i.e. rejections, which are never delivered. Similarly, they apply rules to filter mail servers from which they will accept messages. BT's customer forum has page upon page of complaints about non-delivery. Many messages are excluded for no reason other than another domain on the same server was deemed to have once sent spam. A message can be dumped for having too many recipients, on the basis it implies spam. I spent most of March setting up a stand alone mail server for a club to circumvent such problems due to the number of our emails, which were never delivered.
    So forget conspiracy theories, it's likely to be poorly implemented technology, out of the control of the FRA or you and me.
    Last edited by Oracle; 28-05-2020 at 06:47 PM.