Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Facts about my Inov8 Shoes !!

The Facts about my Shoes !!

I thought I would post this information about my shoe experiences over the last 18 months.
    I have been a runner for 33 years. In the last 2 years I converted to off road and fell.
    In 2018-2019 I went through 5 pairs of Inov8 Parkclaw's for day-to-day training, however as my mileage increased to around 40-50mpw I experienced issues.
    On one pair of Parkclaw's the midsole went with less than 100 miles use. I sent Inov8 pictures of me bending the shoe double and was told to exchange them with the store I purchased them from.
    Not many weeks later another pair of Parkclaw's wore through to the DFB shank!!! Naturally I was fuming. I could see the little black plastic shank in the centre of the shoes cushioning! Again, these shoes had not done any high mileage.

Inov8's response was that 'I was either a heavy heel striker or was running on too rocky ground'. Inov8 kindly exchanged the shoes and I received a pair of Roclite 315 GTX shoes in exchange, as I was informed they would be more hard wearing.
    After less than 6 months one of the Goretex Roclite's let in water. After a lot of correspondence with Inov8, they agreed the shoes were indeed letting in water and finally agreed to exchange the Roclite's for a new pair, at no cost to me.

In January 2020, I had worn the Roclite 315 GTX for 17 days before the inner on the left shoe developed a hole and the lace on the right shoe snaked out of its lining, forcing me to cut them off to re-tie them. I had used the Roclite's for just 17 days competing in 2 XC races and the Tigger Tor fell race.
    Inov8 are looking into the matter...
    On the other hand my Mudclaw G260's have held up well over the past 12 months use, the midsoles have been supportive on long distance fell runs and the grip has remained very good, even on some slippery wet rocks. The graphene does really seem to help.

I'm surprised that the big names of fell running continue to support them - Nicky Spinks, Damian Hall et al.

Finally my wife's comment was class: "Where do they expect you to run in their shoes, on the treadmill?"

£140 is a lot of money.
    Last edited by djsrollo; 13-02-2020 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by djsrollo View Post
    Consequently, I'm surprised that the big names of fell running continue to support Inov8 - Nicky Spinks, Damian Hall et al.
    They don't have to pay for them
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

You should try Salomon shoes. They'll help to change your mind on whether inov-8s are expensive.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Mudclaws for fell unless you are a racing snake and can get away with an x-talons.
    Most other shoes in their range are just going to get trashed in no time.
    If you are paying £140 a pair then you are a mug - shop around and you should be able to get them well under £100.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    They don't have to pay for them
    and they presumably get payment or at least benefits for wearing them and for posting those silly photos on strava which have clearly either been taken by an accompanying photographer or been taken by said runner setting up his or her camera on a timer and then staging an action shot.

try altra. any problem at all and my local stockist (the excellent Yorkshire Runner in Otley) send off a photo to Altra who then say fair dos and give the shop (and hence you) you a credit for a replacement shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by benshep View Post
    try altra. any problem at all and my local stockist (the excellent Yorkshire Runner in Otley) send off a photo to Altra who then say fair dos and give the shop (and hence you) you a credit for a replacement shoe.
    or better still, try VJ Sports XTRM or IRock3 (also stocked by Yorkshire Runner amongst other shops) which are bomb proof and have the best grip around.

It’s been done to death, especially in Facebook, but nowadays there seem to be several manufacturers providing an alternative to Inov8.

VJ Sports (probably the very best of the lot)
    LA Sportiva
    Scott

All (in my opinion) provide a much better product in terms of longevity.

Edit: Benshep beat me to it...!

Personally I'm waiting for the Mudclaw-Vaporfly-graphene crossover shoes. A friend close to Inov-8 says these will be a limited edition for £475 but in preliminary tests give athletes a 3.5% speed boost, especially in steeper races.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Personally I'm waiting for the Mudclaw-Vaporfly-graphene crossover shoes. A friend close to Inov-8 says these will be a limited edition for £475 but in preliminary tests give athletes a 3.5% speed boost, especially in steeper races.
    At that price Noel I would expect a compass in the heel!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog