Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Facts about my Inov8 Shoes !!

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Personally I'm waiting for the Mudclaw-Vaporfly-graphene crossover shoes. A friend close to Inov-8 says these will be a limited edition for £475 but in preliminary tests give athletes a 3.5% speed boost, especially in steeper races.
    I'll keep an eye out for them. That 3.5% will be worth at last 4 minutes at Ribblehead and 7 minutes at the Hill Inn and save me having to jump on the bus
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Personally I'm waiting for the Mudclaw-Vaporfly-graphene crossover shoes. A friend close to Inov-8 says these will be a limited edition for £475 but in preliminary tests give athletes a 3.5% speed boost, especially in steeper races.
    For each shoe?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Laces extra

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    At that price Noel I would expect a compass in the heel!
    And animal tracks on the soles, I had a pair of those.
    Best fell shoes I had were ETAs but they didn't produce them for very long. First pair I had were excellent, lasted a long time and had good grip. Replaced them with another pair, they were nowhere near as good, I think the guys behind them had been bought out and standards had dropped?
    Was £25-30 in the eighties as expensive as £100+ today? It feels like £100 is a lot more money even in 2020.

Master
    In a shop looking into buying my first pair of fell running shoes - they sold Walshes - the salesman said something like "If I was you I would go to a shop that sells Inov8s" - and I did. I have tried Salomons - too narrow - Sportiva - too slippery and they bite your heels - Altra - good, but so wide they really tilt on traversing - so Inov8s for me - some last longer than others - X-Claws were lovely but fell apart too soon - now replaced with the 260s - a bit narrower unfortunately but still good. I agree £140 is too much, but who pays that?

The Mudclaws 300s and the old Roclite 290s seem to last pretty well, and I've generally had over 500 miles out of these, but nearly all other Inov-8s I've tried (and I've tried loads!) have issues with the uppers failing after a couple of hundred miles, especially if used a lot when wet. Bad enough when you get last seasons around £70, but no way I'd spend £100+ on a pair!

I'm currently looking for a new pair similar to the old Roclites, but the range is bewildering - 275, 290, 300, 305, 315 and the numbers don't seem to accurately correspond with weight anymore, which used to be a good indicator of upper robustness.

I had an “issue” with a Mudclaw Classic (otherwise a fantastic shoe), covered elsewhere on this forum in more detail, but basically fell apart halfway round the Ennerdale race, causing much merriment and adventure in the 2nd half.

Prior to that had no problem with Inov8 shoes, but since then have tried other makes. You only have to look at the quality of some of the shoes in your hands to see that some of the other makes seem to be far superior in terms of finish and it would seem durability.

Not to bash them too much... they are the no.1 brand with good reason, but I do feel that many people fall for the marketing.... the mass hysteria on Facebook surrounding the launch of the graphene shoes being an example.

I’d go back to mudclaws again without hesitation, but at the moment I think there are one or two superior options

Not the best place for that to happen Travs!

Just coming off top of Green Gable into Windy Gap.... long way to go from there! Worst bit was the organisers were impressed with my determination to finish, so gave me a prize..... an Inov8 voucher.....!

That genuinely made me laugh out loud - oh, the irony!!!