Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poles

Poles

Taken from the Scottish Hill Runners website:

Use of Walking Poles in Races
    Feb 05, 2020
    The SHR Committee have taken the decision that use of walking poles/sticks in hill races is not compatible with the safe running of hill running events. The generic safety instructions for race organisers and competitors will be updated to reflect this decision.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Worried about this guy perhaps - he's a vet50 now but clearly very talented: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Korzeniowski

Whatever next? Carbon fibre racing shoes?? Wrist worn navigational computers???

Took me a while Noel, but got there in the end :-)

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    The SHR is banning the use of walking poles in races. But I think walking poles are still allowed to enter races themselves.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Am I allowed to use them when I carry my lazy toddler son on the hill?

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    You're too kind

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    I was over thinking it. I was trying to identify some relationship between his name and poles and did not look at his nationality.

Mixed feelings about this, I started using them a couple of years ago after a diagnosis of 'moderate' arthritis in both knees - but I've only used them on Jura, Sedbergh last year and just the once in Coniston - otherwise just for long training runs and not always then. I've been in the position of struggling to pass pole users in narrow places and as a result mine have always been folded away until the race thins out a bit and then used with (I hope) consideration for others around me. I'm not aware of any incidents of anyone being injured as a result of someone using poles in a race?
    I think there are probably quite a few older slightly worn out runners who, like me, might find this a bit of a difficulty in the years to come, I was relying on mine to keep me going for a bit longer yet.

On the other hand they are an absolute nuisance when you need to navigate, eat, or kit faff. And I only really find mine helpful during non runnable climbs, they don't help much descending and are just dead weight on the flat.
    The bottom line though is that people might be forced to give up long races earlier than they otherwise would - whether that's 65 instead of 70 or whatever, and that's a shame.