Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Poles

Or one can just accept and live with ones limitations (whilst giving thanks for all the great times in the past!) I grind on that one every day!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Bought my poles when I reached 60 and carry them all the time out of habit, only use them on long climbs when the gradient warrants or I'm knackered, never, ever on flat or downhill.

But I don't race, I think they would be a sodding nuisance on short races or constricted starts, but in a long race (slower) once it had spread out why not for the oldies? V65s perhaps if they want them on medium/long races? I'm not too bothered but maybe a development worth thought.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Bought my poles when I reached 60 and carry them all the time out of habit, only use them on long climbs when the gradient warrants or I'm knackered, never, ever on flat or downhill.

But I don't race, I think they would be a sodding nuisance on short races or constricted starts, but in a long race (slower) once it had spread out why not for the oldies? V65s perhaps if they want them on medium/long races? I'm not too bothered but maybe a development worth thought.
    Never even contemplated using mine on The Ben, clearly a liability there but I appreciated them on Jura last year. I think the argument against is less valid for longer races. Ben = 5-600 runners spread out over only 8 miles often on a steep path congested with other users. Jura = half as many runners over twice the distance and time on lots of different lines with barely anyone else about. Would be nice if it was left to ROs discretion.

Fully agree, Mark, it is very heavy handed decision

I used them on the Old County Tops, where they should be kept packed away for the first hour to let the field thin out, after that they are not a problem.

Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Master
    I use poles when backpacking in the hills and find them to be a big asset.

I actually have seen a runner trip over one of his own poles and break a leg.

I can`t see any real benefits racing with them over shorter distances in the hills, however for ultra distances they would be really beneficial.

Just my take on them
    The older I get the Faster I was

Master
    I have never been in a race when poles were being used, but have been in many a walking group where most people had them. The number of times I have nearly been poked in the face, both from when they were being held in the hand, and hanging from a pack. And I saw so many tumble over as they were doing silly manoeuvres with their poles when they should have just put a hand on the ground. Using them when walking on the flat is just silly, unless you are in Nordic walking mode - it robs the body of its normal fluency, and must surely lessen efficiency and balance. I can see that they have their place in genuine ultras, when thighs need all the help they can get - but then people should only use them once well spread out.

Walkers faffing about with poles on rocky ground when 3 points of contact would be much safer really irks me.
    I know that on the Skyline Scotland and Dragon's Back the event organisers have points on the route (the scrambly bits where you need 3/4 points of contact) where you have to stow your poles as they're more hindrance than useful.
    However it strikes me as odd people need telling this and don't work it out themselves - indicative of many things based around going outside now I feel.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

I have a funny story about poles. Several years ago when I was doing the UTMB, where probably 99% use them, we were in a conga line climbing a long steep trail. I was getting irritated by the slow pace of all these pole-wielders when all I had in my hands were two Ultimate Direction drink bottles (the ones with the red teats). I got too close to the person in front and inadvertently stood on the end of his pole as he pushed it back. As I cringed in embarrassment I inadvertently squeezed both hands, which fired two high pressure jets of liquid onto the back of his legs. He cried out with some Gallic exclamation, doubly compounding my embarrassment.

Another time (possibly also on a UTMB race) I recall someone get their pole trapped in a narrow crack in the rock and snap the end off as he continued forward.

So they're no use on the flat and a menace on steep bits. Hmm. Think I can work that one out myself!