Thread: Apple Watch : any good?

Banned

Apple Watch : any good?

Has anyone used an applewatch to track fell runs? How did it go?how long did battery last?

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Has anyone used an applewatch to track fell runs? How did it go?how long did battery last?
    Mrs DTR has one, it seems to mirror my Suunto on distance, as she charges it every night by the bed we’ve not seen any issues with batteries, we were out for over five hours at Thats Lyth in pretty grim conditions with no issues, the best part was the exercise rings it has, when she updated them after That’s Lyth they did about 50 laps

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    Mrs DTR has one, it seems to mirror my Suunto on distance, as she charges it every night by the bed we’ve not seen any issues with batteries, we were out for over five hours at Thats Lyth in pretty grim conditions with no issues, the best part was the exercise rings it has, when she updated them after That’s Lyth they did about 50 laps
    Thanks. Was looking at them in the Apple shop whilst waiting for a “genius” to sort a faulty iPad yesterday.

Seemed to me they had much of the function my ageing fenix 3 has eg barometric altimeter . ( and more - answering calls instead of fumbling in bum bag for phone!)

They did an experiment in the shop for me to confirm it could power whilst also tracking, possibly just by loosening magnetic strap. ( they said it was rare for them to be asked a new question, but I had! ) So possibility of recharge from ext battery on long day out. They also said because GPS was always on , tracking made little difference to battery life.
    But it was the 16 hours that bothered me.

Think I might try one, see how it goes.
    Last edited by Oracle; 15-02-2020 at 11:52 PM.

I use an apple watch: in general, very good crack.

I’ve tracked runs of 20-30 miles no problem.

This might sound a bit nitpicky, but they ddo have a mis-feature that *even when you’ve locked the display*, you can still pause tracking by pressing the two physical buttons simultaneously. This is easy to do when things get a bit scrambl-y, so you’ll either want to turn this off, or wear it so the physical buttons are pointing up your arm rather than towards your wrist.

Heart rate sensor is good except when it’s freezin’ cold: then it isn’t. But I’m guessing this is par for the course for similar sensors… Not sure anything else would be better. And it’s kinda cool to be able to take an ECG from your wrist.

I have managed to take some chunks out of the screen when flailing at scree. These scratches are noticeable in bright light but not distracting in day-to-day use. Depending on what sort of person you are this will either drive you nuts or be a non-issue. If the former, there are companies who do ruggedised caes… But as I’m the latter, I haven’t bought one.

Having contactless payments on my wrist is one of those things which sounded like a stupid gimmick before I had it, but now I spit feathers if I have to pay for things in any other way than tapping a button and waving my hand at a PDQ. Rationally, if I couldn’t do this I’m sure I’d adjust quickly, but emotionally it now feels like fishing a card from your wallet is like soemthing from the dark ages.

I guess I have looked longingly at the battery life and built-in mapping of Suuntos (Apple Maps obviously not a lot of use on the fell). I’ll probably take another look in a couple of years when the battery starts to go on this thing, but I’m in no way compelled to switch right now.