Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Chess

Started on the long road to teaching my 7 year old nephew chess last week.

Spent 15 mins showing him the pieces, how to set them up and how they move, and thought the best way was to get him straight into a game against me, with me explaining everything to him as we went.

He seemed to really enjoy it, and picked up the moves fairly quickly. Got a bit confused with the knight moves, and pawns taking diagnolly but only moving forwards, but to be expected on his first go.

He "won" our little series of games 2-1, including a little race between his pawn and my king for him to queen a pawn, which he absolutely loved.... unfortunately my prize for "losing" was to crawl 5 laps round the living-room on my hands and knees pretending to be a donkey.

Ordered the very same book off the internet that i had when i was a kid, which really helped me to learn the basics and some very early-level tactics.

Hope he continues... he's got that mathematical type brain which generally lends itself well to chess.

Which book would that be?
    I may get that for my children.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Usborne-Gui.../dp/0746001355

That's the one.

I went into a Waterstones at the weekend and there were at least half a dozen Chess books designed purely for beginner kids... and they were probably more designed for children i.e more descriptive and story-like.

However the book above is easy to understand and to-the-point, i think it is superior to any of the modern offerings.

I also ordered this (for myself) yesterday...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Op...srpt=ABIS_BOOK