Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nike air zoom pegasus trail goretex

I share you pain with Inov 8's falling apart.

I have never run in the trail pegasus, but I have numerous versions of the Wildhorse. I don't think the sole of the Pegasus is anymore aggressive.

I did the Cape Wrath Ultra in a pair of Wildhorse in 2016. I traded off the grip for something comfortable for long days. They really struggled on anything but dry ground or good trails. They are also useless on wet rock!

I would still wear them for a lot of trail ultras, where I would sacrifice grip for comfort. I also use them for pretty much all my road running.

But not in a fell race or any training run where I just want a bit of grip and not sliding about (I do most of my running in the dark peak). Given the current weather, they would be pretty useless for me about now!

I have had a pair of the Scott Supertrac RCs. They were great, but the grip wore down very quickly. Even after that, I wore them on good trails or when it was dry for a while. I will get another pair though when I next have a bit of spare change.

As another alternative, I really like the La Sportiva Mutant. The fit is nice and the grip on wet rock is great. The grip in mud is pretty good, despite the fact that it isn't very aggressive. It looks a lot of shoe, but I think it feels surprisingly nimble to run in. I have been running in a pair for about 18 months now that have over 500 hard miles in them. They are pretty bulletproof.

I've currently got the Supertrac RC's.... I love the comfort, and the grip is fine on anything but the worst conditions... but I don't think the grip is up there with Inov8/Irock and i'll be going back to Irock next time.

Incidentally the Supertrac RC Ultra shoe, which has much more cushioning, is at least as good grip-wise, and I used them without any issue throughout most of last year's fellracing (admittedly it was quite a dry year)… i'd probably recommend them over the normal Supertrac RC, but the amount of cushioning might be off-putting for a lot of fellrunners.

Also had LA Sportiva Mutants in the past, which as you say were fantastic. only issue I had was the uppers are quite high on the outer heel, and this caused me a lot of issues/pain when contouring... end result I took a knife to them and cut a section of the upper down to a lower level. Problem solved... however i'm a little loathe to buy another pair for circa 100 quid and then have to immediately take a knife to them!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I've currently got the Supertrac RC's.... I love the comfort, and the grip is fine on anything but the worst conditions... but I don't think the grip is up there with Inov8/Irock and i'll be going back to Irock next time.

Incidentally the Supertrac RC Ultra shoe, which has much more cushioning, is at least as good grip-wise, and I used them without any issue throughout most of last year's fellracing (admittedly it was quite a dry year)… i'd probably recommend them over the normal Supertrac RC, but the amount of cushioning might be off-putting for a lot of fellrunners.

Also had LA Sportiva Mutants in the past, which as you say were fantastic. only issue I had was the uppers are quite high on the outer heel, and this caused me a lot of issues/pain when contouring... end result I took a knife to them and cut a section of the upper down to a lower level. Problem solved... however i'm a little loathe to buy another pair for circa 100 quid and then have to immediately take a knife to them!
    Got to agree with you about the high heel. Had them on for over 24 hours doing a race and it caused massive irritation of my achilles after about 15 hours. It was was painful for a couple of weeks afterwards. On reflection, I wish I had done the same at the time!