Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pickle juice

Master
    Chilli, mint, ginger - also said to work - they distract our nervous systems, a bit like rubbing your head when you bang it, or even stronger, throwing your drink in somebody's face in the pub - it really changes the nature of the conversation.

Interesting 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I've always found cramp (in my case) to be caused by extreme fatigue over an extended period (4hrs+), and attempts at solving with liquid/salt/sugar/etc have sadly been inferior to resting and then carrying on very catiously!
    For me, its always 3 hours into a race, rarely training. Once it strikes it keeps coming back. Its torturous! I look forward to uphills as that's fine but downhills are awful. I remember cramping up severely 10 metres from the finish line at Trotternish Ridge Race and taking 5 minutes to cross the line.

Master
    Second marathon, 2002, developed cramp walking to the start, took ages to settle with stretching. Ran what is still my PB, no cramp during the race, as soon as I finished I cramped up every few steps for the next couple of hours, much to the amusement of my partner. No problems like that before or since.
    It seems to be generally felt that cramp means you are asking your muscles to do something you have not accustomed them to doing, whether it be time, distance, speed, temperature, height gain/loss, and that the best way to prevent it is to train them accordingly. Every now and then, as above, it will be something odd. And relieving it can also involve something odd.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/46961611

Still on the huntfor a UK stockist. PicklePower quoted me 104 dollars delivery!

If anyone is interested I made some myself from Google. A foul concoction of water, vinegar, salt, sugar, mustard, chilli, cloves and pepper. Boiled it up and strained it. It looks like concentrated urine and doesn't taste much better tbh. However..... I tried it out on Sunday on a long run down the Trotternish Ridge. 25k and 1500m in 26C. Every time I've done this in racing ir training Ive succumbed to terrible cramp. This time, a big slug before I started then a couple more when I felt twinges. No cramp and I actually finished strong. Don't know how but it worked. Just need to make it more palatable but maybe thats the point.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by neilly View Post
    If anyone is interested I made some myself from Google. A foul concoction of water, vinegar, salt, sugar, mustard, chilli, cloves and pepper. Boiled it up and strained it. It looks like concentrated urine and doesn't taste much better tbh. However..... I tried it out on Sunday on a long run down the Trotternish Ridge. 25k and 1500m in 26C. Every time I've done this in racing ir training Ive succumbed to terrible cramp. This time, a big slug before I started then a couple more when I felt twinges. No cramp and I actually finished strong. Don't know how but it worked. Just need to make it more palatable but maybe thats the point.
    It is my understanding that it works by distraction - like rubbing your head when you bang it - so palatability may stop it working.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    It is my understanding that it works by distraction - like rubbing your head when you bang it - so palatability may stop it working.
    In other words, neilly, you may as well use urine. Looks and tastes the same, but it's free and easy to produce.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    In other words, neilly, you may as well use urine. Looks and tastes the same, but it's free and easy to produce.
    And,depending on musculature,arguably there is no need for a container?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    And,depending on musculature,arguably there is no need for a container?
    I think thats stretching it a bit!